Pull server not working for Windows 2008R2 Client

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex Aymonier Alex Aymonier 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of JackLock
    JackLock
    Participant

Hi All,
    I have been able to setup DSC Pull server (http) in Windows 2012R2 and it works great when I use another Windows 2012R2 system as client. That machine can pull all data and custom resources from my 2012R2 pull server.

I also need to setup same configuration for Win 2008R2 client. And I am having hard time make it work. So far, I have installed WMF 4.0 and .NET Framework 4.5 into that client. I have also ran ` winrm quickconfig ` to configure winrm on client (so listener is present and firewall exception for winrm is present too).

But now, I am getting following error,
    `
    The WS-Management service cannot process the request. The service cannot find the resource identified by the resource URI
    and selectors.
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (root/Microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [], CimException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : HRESULT 0x80338000
    + PSComputerName : DSC2008R2
    `

I am not sure what I am missing here. What resource WS-Management service can't find.
    Any help is appreciated.

TIA,
    Jack

Profile photo of Karl Forster
    Karl Forster
    Participant

Can you create a session using a normal Powershell window using enter-pssession?

Are you able to connect to the computer remotely for other management tasks such as computer management or ping the server?

Sounds like either permissions or network/ connection issue.

Maybe worth trying to create a powershell session from the 2008 R2 box to localhost. That will tell you if all the prerequisites are in place.

Karl

JackLock
    Participant

Thanks for reply,
    Actually I can start session to this client machine from my pull server using enter-pssession. I can ping this machine too.

User that is running scripts is administrator on both machines (don't know if it matters, since LCM runs under SYSTEM account). So I don't think its permission or security issue. But can you tell me what else I need to look for if this issue is related to security or permission ?

Do I need to have PS 4 installed on 2008R2 ? This machine doesn't have it.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Jack,

Which command did you execute to get the error and from where are you running it?

JackLock
    Participant

I have made this configuration for 2008R2 node (ignore $guid, it's guid of mof file that I have created for 2008R2 node),

configuration setPullMode2008
    {
       param ([string] $guidID)

node DSC2008R2
       {
        LocalConfigurationManager
        {
         ConfigurationMode = 'ApplyAndAutoCorrect'
         ConfigurationID = $guidID
         RefreshMode = 'Pull'
         DownloadManagerName = 'WebDownloadManager'
         DownloadManagerCustomData = @{
         ServerUrl = 'http://dsc2012r2/PSDSCPullServer/psdscpullserver.svc';
                AllowUnsecureConnection = 'true'}
        }
       }
    }

cd C:\dsc
    setPullMode2008 -guidID $guid
    Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager -ComputerName DSC2008R2 -Path ./setPullMode2008 -verbose

I am running this command from my Pull Server. And user under which I am running is in administrator group of both client and pull server. Also, if I run exactly same configuration script for my 2012R2 client (with different node ofcourse), then it works just fine.

Profile photo of Alex Aymonier
    Alex Aymonier
    Participant

Hey Jack,

You'll need WMF4 on the 2008r2 box http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=40855

Alex

JackLock
    Participant

Hi Alex, as I mentioned in my first post. I have it already installed before I even attempted to try DSC on Win 2008R2 box.

Profile photo of Alex Aymonier
    Alex Aymonier
    Participant

Hi Jack,

Sorry got confused when you said "Do I need to have PS 4 installed on 2008R2 ? This machine doesn't have it." I thought that this would be installed when you installed WMF4?

Whats the return when you run Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.