Push mode with file server path

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Craig
    Craig
    Participant

Hello,

I'm looking to *use* push mode DSC. I'm trying to set the Path property of the Package resource to a location on a file server using the UNC path. When I run Start-DscConfiguration, the job fails with the error "PowerShell provider MSFT_PackageResource failed to execute Set-TargetResource functionality with error message: The running command stopped because the preference
    variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Access is denied". I have tried granting Everyone Read/Read & Execute permissions on the folder containing all my packages, to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Craig

EDITED – changed "utilize" to "use" 😉

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The LCM runs under the LocalSystem account; it has no authority on the network and does not present a credential. "Everyone" doesn't literally mean "everyone," it means "everyone with a credential." You need to ensure anonymous connections can be accepted by the file server – which is admittedly a bit insecure. Or, provide a credential to the Package resource, which means you'll have to go through certificate encryption of said credential.

Also, see https://donjones.com/2017/05/04/grammar-police-utilize/ – you're "using" push mode DSC. 🙂

Profile photo of Craig
      Craig
      Participant

Is this the process I should follow to implement the credential certificate encryption?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yup.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.