Putting E3 users on lithold

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Potter Dan Potter 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Caroline Shields
    Caroline Shields
    Participant

So each week I want to run a scheduled task that will get all the E3 users and if they don't have litigationholdenabled set, then set it.

Here's my code:

$users= Get-MsolUser -all | ?{$_.licenses[0].accountskuId -match 'amkor:ENTERPRISEPACK'}

$users | ForEach {get-mailbox -Identity $_.userprincipalname |? {$_.litigationholdenabled -ne $true} |set-mailbox -LitigationHoldEnabled $true -LitigationHoldDuration 1825 }

Now the first line gets processed pretty quick (5900 users), but the second line takes about 40 minutes (under 20 users each week that don't have this enabled). I get that I'm doing a foreach so it has to go through each one, but I don't know another way . Is there a different way to re-write this so it doesn't take as long or am I just being impatient?

Profile photo of Jonathan Warnken
    Jonathan Warnken
    Participant

It the $user variable contains ~5900 users then your second line has to do a get-mailbox on each of the those users. You will need to find a way to filter out the users with the litigationholdenabled from the as closer to the beginning (or left side) of the pipeline to speed things up.
    I not not have an exchange lab so I can only offer you theory.

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

backwards.

try using get-mailbox -filter "litigationhold -eq 'false'" #may require where statement

foreach mailbox user..

if ((Get-MsolUser $user).licenses[0].accountskuId -eq 'amkor:ENTERPRISEPACK'){

set-mailbox...

}

This way you're only working with the non-litigation users only and not looping through all 5900.

Profile photo of Caroline Shields
    Caroline Shields
    Participant

Thank you for your suggestions; it gives me more ideas on how to resolve this.

I get that it's backwards, but I failed to mention that we have 5000 K1/E1 users that it would result in $users if I did the:

$users = get-mailbox -filter litigationholdenabled -eq $false

Also, litholds can only be placed on E3 users. I don't think there is going to be a quick way to do this or I just have to figure out something else that can reduce the number.

If I figure it out, I'll post it.

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

Welcome to the cloud.. MSOL isn't very flexible. I actually setup a sql db as a frontend to make changes in the cloud. I have all my user info in the db and a lastmodified column in all tables. I have a script that runs every 15 minutes pulling the users lastmodified since the previous run and apply the changes to the cloud.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.