Q: Get-counter Process(*)\... does not work

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of CTX_Christian CTX_Christian 2 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of CTX_Christian
    CTX_Christian
    Participant

Hi all,

I'm trying to collect perfmon data from multiple remote machines regarding their process.

I thought putting in a wildcard "Process(*)\..." would solve this but all get is an error:

get-counter : The data in one of the performance counter samples is not valid.

I don't have a clue what to do to get a specfic perfmon counter for all the processes from a remote machine.

regards

Christian

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

You can access the processor data like this

Get-Counter -Counter '\Process(*)\% Processor Time'

Are you after all counters for all processes?

In which case you'll need to collect all of these
    \Process(*)\% Processor Time
    \Process(*)\% User Time
    \Process(*)\% Privileged Time
    \Process(*)\Virtual Bytes Peak
    \Process(*)\Virtual Bytes
    \Process(*)\Page Faults/sec
    \Process(*)\Working Set Peak
    \Process(*)\Working Set
    \Process(*)\Page File Bytes Peak
    \Process(*)\Page File Bytes
    \Process(*)\Private Bytes
    \Process(*)\Thread Count
    \Process(*)\Priority Base
    \Process(*)\Elapsed Time
    \Process(*)\ID Process
    \Process(*)\Creating Process ID
    \Process(*)\Pool Paged Bytes
    \Process(*)\Pool Nonpaged Bytes
    \Process(*)\Handle Count
    \Process(*)\IO Read Operations/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Write Operations/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Data Operations/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Other Operations/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Read Bytes/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Write Bytes/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Data Bytes/sec
    \Process(*)\IO Other Bytes/sec
    \Process(*)\Working Set – Private

CTX_Christian
    Participant

Hi Richard,

I want to collect data from all process for these counters:

"\logicaldisk(_total)\Disk Transfers/Sec",
    "\Process(*)\IO Write Bytes/sec",
    "\Process(*)\IO Read Bytes/sec",
    "Process(_total)\IO Data Operations/sec" ,
    "\Process(_total)\IO Write Bytes/sec",
    "\Process(_total)\IO Read Bytes/sec"

The command I used this one. I only get the (_Total) counter returned but nothing from the wildcard * ones.

invoke-command -ComputerName MYCOMPUTER {get-counter -ComputerName $randomset.hostedmachinename -counter "\logicaldisk(_total)\Disk Transfers/Sec","\Process(*)\IO Write Bytes/sec","\Process(*)\IO Read Bytes/sec","Process(*)\IO Data Operations/sec","Process(_total)\IO Data Operations/sec" ,"\Process(_total)\IO Write Bytes/sec", "\Process(_total)\IO Read Bytes/sec" -SampleInterval 3 -Continuous| Export-counter -force -Path c:\temp\myoutput.blg}

[b]When I run this command I get these errors:[/b]

Internal performance counter API call failed. Error: c0000bc4.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (:) [Get-Counter], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CounterApiError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounterCommand

The data in one of the performance counter samples is not valid. View the Status property for each PerformanceCounterSample object to make sure it contains valid
    data.
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidResult: (:) [Get-Counter], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CounterApiError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetCounterCommand

regards

Christian

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

why are you using the computername parameter on get-counter inside the invoke-command script block?

put the computer name on invoke-command or get-counter not both

have you tried running these commands locally on any of the machines where its failing

CTX_Christian
    Participant

Ah sorry, that was a typo.

copy pasted the wrong passage.

The test was performed without the -computer parameter in the script block.

invoke-command -ComputerName MYCOMPUTER {get-counter -counter "\logicaldisk(_total)\Disk Transfers/Sec","\Process(*)\IO Write Bytes/sec","\Process(*)\IO Read Bytes/sec","Process(*)\IO Data Operations/sec","Process(_total)\IO Data Operations/sec" ,"\Process(_total)\IO Write Bytes/sec", "\Process(_total)\IO Read Bytes/sec" -SampleInterval 3 -Continuous| Export-counter -force -Path c:\temp\myoutput.blg}

When I run this command against my own box I get the same result. the .blg file only provides the (_Total) collected counters and ISE is wrinting errors:

get-counter : The data in one of the performance counter samples is not valid. View the Status property for each PerformanceCounterSample object to make sure it
    contains valid data.
    At line:1 char:1
    + get-counter -ComputerName MYCOMPUTER -counter "\logicaldisk(_total)\Disk Tran ...

...I don't understand though why it states that \logicaldisk(_total)\Disk Tran ... is not valid. This data is available in the .blg file.

What I don't get is, if I run the same collection in the perfmon GUI I am able to collect all the data. Via PS it failes on the wildcard * ones.

regards

Christian

CTX_Christian
    Participant

I did another test:

get-counter -ComputerName MYCOMPUTER-counter "\Process(spoolsv)\IO Write Bytes/sec" -SampleInterval 3 -Continuous| Export-counter -force -Path c:\temp\myoutput.blg

Using an explicit process name worked. Why does's * work. In Perfmon it's called .

regards

Christian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.