Querying the Battery

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott W Scott W 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Scott W
    Scott W
    Participant

Hi everyone!

Working on a script/module that involves querying the battery (in a laptop, for the moment) via WMI. Is there any reason to use the classes in root\CIMv2 versus those in root\wmi? I ask particularly since I have seen some odd things in my testing when looking at the classes Win32_Battery and CIM_Battery, as well as a couple of other ones under root\CIMv2. Currently I'm looking at the classes in root\wmi, and I don't seem to have the same issues.

Just looking for some thoughts.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

With a quick search using my Google-Fu, most of the blogs\scripts are using the Win32_Battery class. There is another PowerTip that uses .NET to get battery data. If you do some research, the Win32_Classes get their information from CIM. Not sure if it's a good analogy (SQL), but the information database is CIM and the Win32_ classes are like views (compiled from one or more CIM sources). You can get some WMI information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394554(v=vs.85).aspx

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

The CIM classes are base, vendor neutral classes; when a Win32 class is provided, it usually includes more specific information pertaining to a windows computer.

That said, no one namespace is inherently better. Namespaces are just ways of organizing classes. If you're getting better results with one class vs another, use the one that works best.

Profile photo of Scott W
    Scott W
    Participant

Rob, many thanks for those links! The PowerShell Magazine one is particularly cool.

Don, Excellent information.. I read something somewhere about root\wmi not being "supported", but since it provides what I'm looking for better (and more consistently), I think I will stick with it. Many thanks!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.