Question about Objects and Variables

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Edmond Yee Edmond Yee 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

So, I was playing around trying to think of a better way of writing a script of mine. I came across this oddity:

$Obj1 = New-Object PSCustomObject @{test = $env:COMPUTERNAME}
    $Obj2 = $Obj1

$Obj2 | Add-Member -Name SomeData -MemberType NoteProperty -Value "Some Data"

$Obj1.SomeData
    $obj2.SomeData

I would never use this in production, but I just want to understand how it updates both objects, should they not be separate objects?

Cheers,

Alex.

Profile photo of Craig Duff
    Craig Duff
    Participant

A variable is a pointer to a location in memory. Assigning a variable an object doesn't create a copy of the object in memory, it just sets the memory location. If you want an actual copy:

$b = $a.psobject.copy()
    Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

Some other notes. You are creating a hash table versus an object in your example. It appears to be a mesh of several custom object methods.

PS C:\Users\Rob> $Obj1

Name                           Value                                                                                                                                                                        
    ----                           -----                                                                                                                                                                        
    test                           ROB-PC                                                                                                                                                                       

You object creation should look more like this.

$obj1 = @()
    $obj1 += New-Object -TypeName PSObject -Property @{test = $env:COMPUTERNAME}
    $obj1 += [pscustomobject]@{test="Computer123"}

It was interesting that Add-Member was still adding a property note to a hash table. Another simple way to make a copy is to use Select which will generate a new PSObject with the properties you specify. So, Select * or Select Name would generate a new object to work with.

Profile photo of Alex
    Alex
    Participant

Ah that makes sense its a pointer to a memory location, hence why it updates it regardless of which variable you use.

To be honest, its not something I would ever do I was just playing around. If anything I would create a class and use that.

Profile photo of Edmond Yee
    Edmond Yee
    Participant

The Technet page for Set-DNSServerResourceRecord uses this as an example of creating 2 independent objects with the same command, which is later pointed out in the comments as inaccurate.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj649911.aspx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.