Question about the Script Resource

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Michael Felkins 3 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Michael Felkins
    Participant

I find that I am using this resource a lot in my configuration. I am wondering if I understand it completely.

1. I t appears that I have to re load my variables in the setscript and testscript sections in every script block.
    2. It also appears that I have Import any modules that I am using in each block.
    So 18 time for 18 web sites. I notice that the DSC configuration imports every cmdlet every time it runs, (18 times).

Am I missing a trick that would allow me to import the module just once? How about the variables?
    Make them Global?

a sample of my work:

script Websites18 {
    SetScript = {
    Import-Module WebAdministration
    $site = "Site18"
    $IISPath = "IIS:\Sites\site18"
    $pathweb = "E:\websites"
    New-item $IISPath -physicalpath $pathweb\Site18\main\www\57043 -id 57043 -bindings @{protocol="http";bindinginformation="*:8043:"}, @{protocol="net.tcp";bindinginformation="57043:*"}
    Set-ItemProperty $IISPath -name applicationDefaults.enabledProtocols -value "http,net.tcp"
    Set-ItemProperty $IISPath -name applicationPool -value Site18AppPool
    Set-ItemProperty $IISPath -name logFile.directory -value "$pathlogs\Site18Service"

New-Item $IISPath\ISCTService -physicalPath $pathweb\Site18\main\www\57043\Site18Service -type Application
    Set-ItemProperty $IISPath\ISCTService -name applicationPool -value Site18AppPool
    }
    GetScript = {return}
    TestScript = {Import-Module WebAdministration
    $site = "Site18"
    If (get-website | where { $_.Name -eq $site } )
    {$True}
    else
    {$false}
    }
    }

Still working on understanding the GetScript block.

I am using this rather than the xWebSite resource because it does not support setting the ID which is a requirement here.
    Also, it does not support the net.tcp protocol.

TIA,

OldDog

Dave Wyatt

One trick you can use with the script resource is to define your variables out in the configuration, and then use the $using scope modifier inside your blocks. As far as the MOF file goes, the end result is the same: DSC will inject those variables into the scripts for you, but it cleans up your code a bit.

You do probably need to leave the call to Import-Module there, at least in the Set script. If you were calling an actual cmdlet from the WebAdministration module (such as Get-Website in your test script), you could just let module auto-loading take care of it, but since you're just using the IIS drive and the generic cmdlets, the explicit import is likely necessary.

Try something like this:

configuration Test
    {
        node SomeNode
        {
            $site = "Site18"
            $IISPath = "IIS:\Sites\site18"
            $pathweb = "E:\websites"

script Websites18 {
                SetScript = {
                    Import-Module WebAdministration
                    New-item $using:IISPath -physicalpath $using:pathweb\$using:site\main\www\57043 -id 57043 -bindings @{protocol="http";bindinginformation="*:8043:"}, @{protocol="net.tcp";bindinginformation="57043:*"}
                    Set-ItemProperty $using:IISPath -name applicationDefaults.enabledProtocols -value "http,net.tcp"
                    Set-ItemProperty $using:IISPath -name applicationPool -value "${using:site}AppPool"
                    Set-ItemProperty $using:IISPath -name logFile.directory -value "$using:pathlogs\${using:site}Service"

New-Item $using:IISPath\ISCTService -physicalPath $using:pathweb\Site18\main\www\57043\${using:site}Service -type Application
                    Set-ItemProperty $using:IISPath\ISCTService -name applicationPool -value "${using:site}AppPool"
                }
                GetScript = {return}
                TestScript = {Import-Module WebAdministration
                    If (get-website | where { $_.Name -eq $using:site } )
                    {
                        $true
                    }
                    else
                    {
                        $false
                    }
                }
            }
        }
    }

Michael Felkins
    Participant

Thanks, I had not run across $using before. I'll give it a go.
    Sounds like I don't need to import the module in my test script.
    I'll try that as well.

OldDog

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.