Regex Return Only First Match

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

by JonathanGrocott at 2013-02-28 21:55:28

I am new to the site and new to Power-shell –>Really excited about digging deeper.

I am trying to write a Run-time value from a post .lst file with a SEQ# identifier. Here is what i have:

# Returns the Total Run Time from .lst files in directory $inputpath #
    $input_path = ‘C:\RUN_TIME_TEST\*.lst’
    $output_file = ‘C:\RUN_TIME_TEST\Test.csv’
    $items = 'TOTAL.......\d\d:\d\d:\d\d'
    $items2 = 'SEQ_\d*'
    $regex = $items
    $regex2 = $items2

select-string -Path $input_path -Pattern $regex2 -AllMatches | % { $_.Matches } | % { $_.Value } > $output_file
    select-string -Path $input_path -Pattern $regex -AllMatches | % { $_.Matches } | % { $_.Value } >> $output_file

The regex2 returns 3 Seq values (-allmatches) and i only want one value returned. Appreciate any and all help.
    Thanks,

by AlexBrassington at 2013-02-28 23:06:47

If you just want the first result you need to remove the -AllMatches switch.

by JonathanGrocott at 2013-02-28 23:36:00

I should have left that out. Even without the -AllMatches switch it outputs all 3 occurrences of SEQ_##.

by AlexBrassington at 2013-03-01 00:15:25

Good point. When you use the -Path parameter it returns all matches by default.

Try this:

select-string -Path $input_path -Pattern $regex2 -AllMatches | Select -First 1 > $output_file

by mjolinor at 2013-03-01 03:13:28

-List
    Returns only the first match in each input file. By default, Select-String returns a MatchInfo object for each match it finds.

select-string -Path $input_path -Pattern $regex2 -List

by JonathanGrocott at 2013-03-02 04:35:44

Thanks guys. This worked great:
    select-string -Path $input_path -Pattern $regex2 -List | % { $_.Matches } | % { $_.Value } > $output_file

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.