regex to remove brackets

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GoogleUser20 GoogleUser20 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of GoogleUser20
    GoogleUser20
    Participant

I have hundreds and hundreds of files in the below formats in a folder called c:\files. I need to user regex to replace the brackets with parenthesis. [ with ( and ] with ). How do I go about doing it?

case – The David VS Jacob [XY-CURRENT.XID123456]_1234568_1.msg
    case — PS Lava Employees LLC [ZZ-CURRENT.XID5374648]_47847484_1.MSG
    Joh Doe [XX-CURRENT.XID293028]_40000555_1.msg

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hello,

Replacing is fairly easy, in fact you don't really even need to use RegEx, but here's an example.

Get-ChildItem -Path C:\Files | ForEach-Object -Process {
        $fileText = Get-Content -Path $PSItem.FullName
        $strOpenBrackets = $fileText -replace '\[', '('
        $strComplete = $strOpenBrackets -replace ']', ')'
        $strComplete |
        Out-String |
        Set-Content -Path $PSItem.FullName -Force
    }

GoogleUser20
    Participant

Getting the following error:

Get-Content : An object at the specified path C:\Files\case – The David VS Jacob [XY-CURRENT.XID123456]_1234568_1.msg does not exist, or has been filtered by the -Include or
    -Exclude parameter.
    At C:\Users\username\Desktop\test.ps1:3 char:17
    + $fileText = Get-Content -Path $PSItem.FullName
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (System.String[]:String[]) [Get-Content], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetContentCommand

Set-Content : An object at the specified path C:\Files\case – The David VS Jacob [XY-CURRENT.XID123456]_1234568_1.msg does not exist, or has been filtered by the -Include or
    -Exclude parameter.
    At C:\Users\username\Desktop\test.ps1:8 char:5
    + Set-Content -Path $PSItem.FullName -Force
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : ObjectNotFound: (System.String[]:String[]) [Set-Content], Exception
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetContentCommand

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Do you have any subdirectories in C:\Files by any chance? It could be that it's trying to read in a directory as a text file. To ensure that it is only the files it attempts to read, you can change the Get-Content command to

Get-ChildItem -Path C:\Files -File

If you still receive the error, then set $ErrorActionPreferenece to 'Stop' in your script, and use a Try...Catch block for error trapping. Output the error details in the Catch block to try and get a better idea of what files are causing the issues. Some attribute like $error[0].FullyQualifiedErrorID is probably the easiest for displaying to get an idea whats going on.

GoogleUser20
    Participant

I don't have any subdirectories but I think I figured out a way to do it which worked great (See the one-liner below). Thanks for your help.

Get-ChildItem E:\files -Recurse | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name -replace "\[","(" -replace "\]", ")" }

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.