Remote Sql Server backups

Tagged: 

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Don Jones Don Jones 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Gregor Suttie
    Gregor Suttie
    Participant

I have a script which looks like the following:-

$machine = $computerName
    $server = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Server("$machine")

Write-Host "server = $($server)"

$backup = New-Object Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.Backup
    $backup.Database = $databaseName

$date = Get-Date
    $date = $date -replace "/", "-"
    $date = $date -replace ":", "-"
    $date = $date -replace " ", "_"

#$file = $backupFolderDBName + "\" + $databaseName + "_" + $date + ".bak"
    $file = "c:\downloads\backup\test_1.bak"

$backup.Devices.AddDevice($file, [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.DeviceType]::File)
    $backup.Action = [Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Smo.BackupActionType]::Database
    $backup.SqlBackup($server)

We have a test environment, staging and production, on the test and staging environment SQL Server runs as Local System account – I can remote onto both these servers and backup all my databases as required. On Production SQL Server runs as a specified account, when my script hits the last line to do the actual backup I get the following error:-

SqlBackup" with "1" argument(s): "Backup failed for Server

Is this the double hop issue, if I log onto the production server and run my script on the box itself it works just fine.

Thanks for any advice
    Greg

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

So long as you're not asking the remoting session to access non-local resources, then no, it probably isn't a double-hop problem. But it sounds as if you may be asking the session to access non-local resources, since running the script when logged in on the console works.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.