Remotely Invoking SCCM Client Actions

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of David Stein David Stein 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of William Anderson
    William Anderson
    Participant

Hey there everyone. Me again. I've been writing more and more functions in my "SCCM Toolbox" for the admins in my environment, and thought I'd start sharing them here. I post snippets on my blog as well, but figure since this gets a little more exposure, that I'd share with the class. 🙂 Let me know if these are useful and I'll keep posting them!

Function Invoke-CMClient{
    < #
        .SYNOPSIS
           Invoke commands remotely on an SCCM Client for a system or systems.

.DESCRIPTION
           This function allows you to remotely trigger some of the more common actions that you would find on the local
           Configuration Manager console.

.PARAMETER -ComputerName 
           Specifies the target computer for the management operation. Enter a fully qualified domain name, a NetBIOS name, or an IP address. When the remote computer
           is in a different domain than the local computer, the fully qualified domain name is required.

This command defaults to localhost.

.PARAMETER -Action 
           Specifies the action to be taken on the SCCM Client.  The available actions are as follows:
                    HardwareInv - Runs a Hardware Inventory Cycle on the target machine.
                    SoftwareInv - Runs a Software Inventory Cycle on the target machine.
                    UpdateScan - Runs a Software Updates Scan Cycle on the target machine.
                    MachinePol - Runs a Machine Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle on the target machine.
                    UserPolicy - Runs a User Policy Retrieval and Evaluation Cycle on the target machine.
                    FileCollect - Runs a File Collection Cycle on the target machine.

.INPUTS
           You can pipe a computer name to Invoke-CMClient

.EXAMPLE
           Invoke-CMClientAction -ComputerName server01 -Action HardwareInv

The above command will invoke the Configuration Manager Client's Hardware Inventory Cycle on the targeted computer.  The return will look like the following:

__GENUS          : 1
            __CLASS          : __PARAMETERS
            __SUPERCLASS     :
            __DYNASTY        : __PARAMETERS
            __RELPATH        : __PARAMETERS
            __PROPERTY_COUNT : 1
            __DERIVATION     : {}
            __SERVER         : server01
            __NAMESPACE      : ROOT\ccm
            __PATH           : \\server01\ROOT\ccm:__PARAMETERS
            ReturnValue      :
            PSComputerName   : server01

.NOTES

Created by Will Anderson. 

http://lastwordinnerd.com/category/posts/powershell-scripting/

This script is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind.
        #>

PARAM(
                [Parameter(Mandatory=$True,ValueFromPipeline=$True,ValueFromPipelineByPropertyName=$True)]
                [string[]]$ComputerName = $env:COMPUTERNAME,

[Parameter(Mandatory=$True)]
                [ValidateSet('HardwareInv','SoftwareInv','UpdateScan','MachinePol','UserPolicy','DiscoveryInv','FileCollect')]
                [string]$Action

)#Close Param

#$Action...actions...actions...
        SWITCH ($action) {
                            'HardwareInv'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000001}"}
                            'SoftwareInv'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000002}"}
                            'UpdateScan'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000113}"}
                            'MachinePol'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000021}"}
                            'UserPolicy'   {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000027}"}
                            'FileCollect'  {$_action = "{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000010}"}
                            } #switch

FOREACH ($Computer in $ComputerName){
            if ($PSCmdlet.ShouldProcess("$action $computer")) {

Invoke-WmiMethod -ComputerName $Computer -Namespace root\CCM -Class SMS_Client -Name TriggerSchedule -ArgumentList "$_action"

}#if
        }#End FOREACH Statement

}#Close Function Invoke-CMClient
    Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Absolutely – thank you! Your'e welcome to contact me if you'd like to post these as blog articles, and I definitely recommend submitting to the TechNet Script Gallery as well.

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs
    Participant

Will,

Thank you!. You might want to look into Adam Bertram's module which he posted into the TechEd Gallery and his blog a couple of month ago. It includes additional functions to manage the CMClient remotely.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/ConfigMgr-Client-Action-16a364a5

Profile photo of David Stein
      David Stein
      Participant

When loading this into Visual Studio Code, it's balking at not having [CmdletBinding(SupportsShouldProcess=$true,...)], since it is invoked within the foreach() block.

Profile photo of William Anderson
    William Anderson
    Participant

Many thanks to both of you gents! I'll definitely send you some notes Don! And thanks for posting those links Daniel. I definitely need to work on my use of Try-Catch like Mr. Bertram's post. I'll keep exploring. 🙂

Profile photo of Mark MacLachlan
    Mark MacLachlan
    Participant

Shouldn't the function name in this code be Invoke-CMClientAction as is listed in the example text?

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Hi William, thanks for taking the time to share. I have been looking for some good SCCM tools – I have some bits here and there cobbled together. I am relatively new to Powershell, but from me – I think your formatting is excellent

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.