Remotely setting network credentials using cmdkey

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Simar 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Reji Nair
    Participant

I have a task to automate the build on Azure VM with custom extension scripts. One of the tasks of the custom extension scripts is to map network drives [and save its credentials]. The custom extension scripts are automatically executed by Azure using the ADMIN user id. This causes problems as the mapped network drive resides in a different user domain. As a consequence, I have to create another script [map.ps1] which does the mapping and have it invoked from a wrapper script [deploy.ps1].

Please note snippets of my script:

deploy.ps1

$storageCred="A long string of name value pairs containing the network user id and password"
    $domainAdminUserId = "xxxx/yyyy"
    $domainAdminPassword = ( 'zzzz' | ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force )
    $domainAdminCredentials = New-Object -typename System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -argumentlist $domainAdminUserId, $domainAdminPassword

Enable-PSRemoting -Force
    Invoke-Command -ComputerName localhost -FilePath "C:\FTPFiles\map.ps1" -Credential $domainAdminCredentials -ArgumentList $storageCred -Verbose

Map.ps1

$storageCredArray = $storageCred.Split('~')
    $storageCredLookupTable = ConvertFrom-StringData ($storageCredArray | out-string)

Write-Host 'Mapping file shares - started' -ForegroundColor Green
    $driveLetterAscii = [Byte][char]'X'

foreach ($usr in $storageCredLookupTable.Keys) {
      $driveLetter = [Char][byte]$driveLetterAscii
      CMDKEY /add:$usr.file.core.windows.net /user:$env:COMPUTERNAME\$usr /pass:($storageCredLookupTable.Item($usr))
      Net Use ($driveLetter + ":") "\\$usr.file.core.windows.net\share" /SAVECRED /PERSISTENT:YES
      if (Test-Path ($driveLetter + ":\Interfaces")) {
          Write-Host "$driveLetter mapped to $usr.file.core.windows.net\share successfully" -ForegroundColor Green
      } else {
          Write-Host "Failure in mapping $driveLetter to $usr.file.core.windows.net\share" -ForegroundColor Red
      }	  
      ++$driveLetterAscii
    } 

When I run this, it errors while adding the network credentials [cmdkey /add]. I get the following error:

CMDKEY: Credentials cannot be saved from this logon session

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

That's a limitation of the Cmdkey command – not really a PowerShell thing. But it's related to the way Remotig handles credentials. The remote session doesn't actually get a credential, it gets a delegated ticket, so there's no token to actually save. That's all by design, and not something you can reconfigure.

Valery Moskalenko
    Participant

You should run CMDKEY per each user with RunAs. Please find some help below

$cmdlist = @"
    cmdkey /add:yourstorage.file.core.windows.net /user:yourstorage /pass:vcfj*********************************************/**********************************gFlw==
    Read-Host "Press any key to continue..."
    "@
    $cred = Get-Credential -Message "Enter password for user" -UserName "DOMAIN\USER"
    Start-Process powershell.exe -Credential $cred -ArgumentList $cmdlist -LoadUserProfile

Reji Nair
    Participant

Valery,
    The intention is to automate the mapping and not make it interactive. Anyway, you have given me ideas. Thanks for your help.

Simar
    Participant

@Reji Nair,

I am facing the similar issue. Can you please guide me for the solution?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.