Reorganizing node structure in xml

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

by Ritmo2k at 2013-02-15 09:23:49

I have an xml file I load in as a System.Xml.XmlDocument, the structure is roughly:

I use an xpath query with Select-XML and grab some quantity of nodes based on the type attribute.
    When parsing the object after Select-XML carves it up, I use these steps:

$xml_nodes = Select-Xml -Xml $XML -XPath $Query
    Foreach ($xml_node in $xml_nodes)
    {
    $var = $xml_node.get_Node()
    $var.something ...
    }

This provides me a means to iterate through the included sets.
    For the sake of continuity throughout the local end of the parsing and remote end when I convert it back to a string object to avoid serialization, the included nodes regain the full structure. So accessing them becomes $var.level1.level2.object.something etc.

I need to avoid this as I share code on both ends, is it possible to remove the level1 and level2 branches on the far end so I can access the xml object the same way? You can remove nodes, but I dont see how at first glance to remove parent enclosing nodes leaving the child.

Thanks!

by mjolinor at 2013-02-15 12:10:19

If you don't mind regex, I've got this:

$xmltext = @'

'@

$regex = @'
    (?ms)\s*\s*
    \s*\s*
    (.+?)
    \s*
    \s*
    \s*
    \s*
    '@

$xmltext -replace $regex,'$1'

It looks a little odd, but works well. I call it "jumbo shrimp in a can" – (?ms) = jumbo shrimp, the here-string is the "can".

by Ritmo2k at 2013-02-16 15:31:36

Cool, I'll give it a whirl, but it looks like it could do what I need.

Much appreciated!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.