replace string (including escapes)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lephas Lephas 1 year ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Lephas

I have a variable $memberof containing the following value

Get-AdPrincipalGroupMembership -Identity "user"

Heres my code
    $memberof | foreach {
    $dn_no_cn = $_.DistinguishedName -replace 'CN=',"
    $groupname = $ + ","
    $ou += ($dn_no_cn -replace $groupname,")

So what Im trying to do is to get the Parrent OU of the Group in the DN format.

First: Any suggestions how I can shorten the 3 replace lines into a oneliner?

Second: the above loop works well except for one Group which contains characters ( and ). Is there a way how I can escape them so the replace operation doesnt fail with them?

I appreciate your help.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

You probably -could- shorten in, but I'm not sure there's an advantage in doing so.

I'm not seeing why either -replace would be failing with parentheses. Can you provide an example of what it's doing that you don't like? Without seeing the input data and the incorrect output, it's kind of difficult to imagine what's wrong.

Profile photo of Lephas

Ok – it felt like I was doing too much with all these lines.

I have an some AD Group where the Input is like this:

The expected replaced output should be "OU=Testgroup_(I.L.E.E.),OU=Projects,DC=company,DC=dmz"

But in this case I get the full string back. With all other groups I have no such problem.

Also I did some testing and this is the simplified problem:
    " test(123)" -replace 't(123)', " won't work but "test(123)" -replace 't\(123\)', " will work.
    So I need to figure out how I can escape these brackets.

Thank you so much for your help Mr. Jones you sir are a true guru 🙂

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones

So, maybe this is confusion over how -replace works. It supports a subset of regular expression syntax, which is what you're seeing in your simplified problem. You should be able to use a backslash or a backtick ` to escape special characters to make them literal.

But that should only have to be done in the first argument passed to -replace:

$result = $original -replace $search,$replace

In this case, any special characters in $original wouldn't be treated as "special" and shouldn't need escaping. Only $search should be looking for wildcards and so on, and potentially require escaping.

However, possibly replacing isn't the right way to go?

$original = "CN=Testgroup_(I.L.E.E.)_Mitglieder,OU=Testgroup_(I.L.E.E.),OU=Projects,DC=company,DC=dmz"
    $newou = "OU=Projects,DC=company,DC=dmz"
    $pieces = $original -split ","
    $morepieces = $pieces[0] -split "="
    $final = "$($morepieces[1]),$newou"

Does that follow the logic you're after?

Profile photo of Lephas

Yes I am aware that I only need to use the escape characters in the $search variable. The Problem is that i have like 150 Groups and I need to find out the Parent OU of all these groups with the Distinguished Name Property.

Turns out I was way off track, I will use the get-ADOrganizationalUnit command and will filter after the Group names I have to get the DNs I need. Maybe I will post again if I have any further questions.

But for now – Thanks for your help!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.