Resolve DNS script for a list of subdomain names

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Resolve DNS script for a list of subdomain names

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 1
      Replies: 2

Hi All,

It's been a while since I used Powershell and so I am in a rush in relearning it for some projects. For one of them, I need to do a resolve-dns lookup for a list of subdomains.

Here is one of the approaches I went with:

$domains = Get-Content @(C:\Users\myself\Subdomains.txt)

$domains | Resolve-DnsName -Type ANY -Server 8.8.8.8

Any idea why this wouldn't work and how I can fix this issue? I tried using a loop to go through the listĀ  but I kept on ending up with no errors but no files or output being generated.

• This topic was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by dawnifier83.
      Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 1375
      Helping Hand

This basic example worked for me:

$domains = 'www.msn.com','www.microsoft.com','azure.microsoft.com'

$domains | Resolve-DnsName -Type ANY -Server 8.8.8.8

Output:

Name                           Type   TTL   Section    NameHost                                                                                                                                                                                                  
      ----                           ----   ---   -------    --------                                                                                                                                                                                                  
      www.msn.com                    CNAME  173   Answer     www-msn-com.a-0003.a-msedge.net                                                                                                                                                                           
      www.microsoft.com              CNAME  2832  Answer     www.microsoft.com-c-3.edgekey.net                                                                                                                                                                         
      azure.microsoft.com            CNAME  3260  Answer     acom.trafficmanager.net  

There isn't a reason to wrap the file name with @(), basically that is passing multiple paths to Get-Content. If the file is formatted like:

Server1
      Server2
      Server3

then it will be an array when import with Get-Content

Participant

Hmm I see, thank you for the response. By chance, do you have a script that resolves the DNS name of a list of subdomains? I ask because the original reason why I tried to use the get-content from a file is due to the fact that I'm looking up a decent sized list of subdomains that occasionally change. I will look into arrays based off the second half of your response.

Again, I appreciate the response!

Participant
      Topics: 10
      Replies: 1375
      Helping Hand

Based on the second half, you can use Get-Content. If your txt file looked like so:

msn.com
      microsoft.com
      azure.microsoft.com

Then you can do something like so:

$domains = Get-Content C:\Scripts\domains.txt

$results = foreach ($domain in $domains) {
          Resolve-DnsName -Name $domain  -Type ANY -Server 8.8.8.8
      }

$results

Participant

Based on the second half, you can use Get-Content. If your txt file looked like so:

PowerShell
      3 lines

msn.com
      microsoft.com
      azure.microsoft.com
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then you can do something like so:

PowerShell
      8 lines

$domains = Get-Content C:\Scripts\domains.txt
      $results = foreach ($domain in $domains) {
      Resolve-DnsName Name $domain Type ANY Server 8.8.8.8
      }
      $results
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'veĀ  been getting this error:

Resolve-DnsName : xyz.example.com : DNS name does not exist
      At line:3 char:5
      + Resolve-DnsName -Name $domains -Type ANY -Server 8.8.8.8
      + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (xyz.example.com:String) [Resolve-DnsName], Win32Exception
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DNS_ERROR_RCODE_NAME_ERROR,Microsoft.DnsClient.Commands.ResolveDnsName

This error shows up for each subdomain on the list.

*replaced my subdomains with xyz.example.com to comply with this site's rules.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.