Retrieve SamAccountNames from Display Names

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 4 years ago.

• Author

thickgit
    Participant

Hi All,

I have a csv list of about 130 Active Directory 'Display Names' which are the users' first names and last names.

I would like to retrieve the user SamAccountNames from this info. I've tried Import-Csv with a 'foreach' but I'm not having much luck.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Charles Downing
    Participant

What are you using to try and get the SamAccountName attribute? You should be able to use Import-Csv to get the list of display names from your file, and then you can use Get-ADUser with the -filter parameter to pull the data from AD.

Assuming the display name column of the CSV is DisplayName and that column contains the actual display names from AD:
    $names = Import-Csv c:\temp\displaynames.txt
    foreach ($name in $names) {
    $user = Get-ADUser -filter { Name -like $name.DisplayName }
    $user.SamAccountName
    }

thickgit
    Participant

Yes, I was using Import-Csv C:\Displaynames.csv | foreach {Get-ADUser -identity $_.'DisplayName'}

It imports the CSV fine, but then it just kept telling me:

Get-ADUser : Cannot find an object with identity: 'Joe Bloggs' under: 'DC=company,DC=pri'

I've put -f after the ADUser and that didn't work either.

So I tried your suggestion and I get:

Get-ADUser : Property: 'DisplayName' not found in object of type: 'System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject'

thickgit
    Participant

Or to put the question differently...

How can I retrieve a user AD account by providing just the 'Display Name'?

For a single user, I do:

Get-ADUser -f * -Properties DisplayName | Where-Object {$_.DisplayName -eq 'Joe Bloggs'}

I just need to know how to do it from a CSV or text file for multiple users!

Charles Downing
    Participant

Does your CSV have a column header row with a DisplayName column?

C:\Displaynames.csv:
    DisplayName,Department,Cubicle
    Dr. Posh Scripto,IT,BE301

thickgit
    Participant

Yes. I've got the 'DisplayName' header and can import it using Import-CSV.

Charles Downing
    Participant

Weird...

Can I see an example of your CSV file, with the header, and then see what happens at the console when you run my code snippet? Also, if you run "$names = Import-Csv C:\Displaynames.csv", then running "$names" should show you the imported names and the column headers that it's using. Can you show me an example of that output?

thickgit
    Participant

Yes, if I run '$names' then I get the list of imported names.

Error message when I run code snippet:

Get-ADUser : Property: 'DisplayName' not found in object of type: 'System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject'.
    At line:2 char:19
    + $user = Get-ADUser <<<< -filter { Name -like $name.DisplayName } + CategoryInfo : InvalidArgument: (:) [Get-ADUser], ArgumentException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Property: 'DisplayName' not found in object of type: 'System.Management.Automation.PSCustomObject'.,Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management.Commands.GetADUser

Don Jones
    Keymaster

-Identity doesn't accept DisplayName. Use -filter.

Get-ADUser -filter { DisplayName -eq 'Joe Admin' } | Select samAccountName

Could be used inside a ForEach to take values from your CSV. -Identity only takes samAccountName, CN, and a couple of other specific things that are indexed in the database.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.