Retrieving Condition from a Variable

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Bakker 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Malik Amaduddin
    Participant

Is there a possibility for me to retrieve a IF condition from a variable. I want to store conditions in a database outside of the code and then retrieve the condition and put it in the IF Condition. If the condition is successful then I will perform an action as mentioned in the database. it will be something like below.

$condition = "$Obj.Title -eq 'ABC'"

if($condition)
    {
    # Do This
    }

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Not in that way, no. $condition would need to be True or False. You could potentially store the entire code block and use Invoke-Expression to evaluate it. There might be a way to cast a string as a script block, but I'm still not sure PowerShell would evaluate it as Code the way you're asking.

Chris Bakker
    Participant

[bool]$a= "A" -eq "A"
    if ($a) {"ok"}
    ok
    [bool]$a= "A" -ne "A"
    if ($a) {"ok"}

or:

$condition = '"A" -eq "A"'

if ([bool](Invoke-Expression $condition)) {"do something"}

Don Jones
      Keymaster

Chris, that's not quite the question. In your case, $a is storing True or False, not the expression itself. PowerShell evaluates it and stores the result. He's asking if there's a way to pull a string from a database and evaluate it.

You could, but using Invoke-Expression, which does open you up to a lot of potential abuse or attacks. Assuming the condition is in $c...

if ( (Invoke-Expression $c) ) {
       # this runs if $c evaluates to True
      }

Malik Amaduddin
      Participant

Wow Cool it works! Thanks a Mil! And thanks for the heads up on the potential threats.

Chris Bakker
      Participant

If the conditions are in a database, i dont see the problem.
      Just secure the database and like always, know what your doing.

Dan Potter
    Participant

if it evaluates to true or false, yes.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.