Run Powershell Script from Apache via CGI

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Petr 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Petr
    Participant

I have installed Apache web server Apache/2.4.25 (Win32) with mod_fcgid/2.3.9
    Then I have a file test.cgi in cgi-bin folder with following 3 lines:

#!"C:\Windows\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe" -NoLogo -ExecutionPolicy unrestricted
    "HTTP/1.1 200 OK`r`nContent-Type: text/plain`r`n`r`n"
    "Hello"

When I put the http://localhost/cgi-bin/test.cgi into browsers address bar, the response is
    Error 500
    In the apache\logs\error.log is
    [Thu Nov 30 18:20:29.215223 2017] [cgi:error] [pid 3548:tid 1680] [client ::1:55927] End of script output before headers: te
    st.cgi

How can I fix it?

Don Jones
    Keymaster

You're VERY outside of PowerShell's envisioned use cases, here – so it might never work the way you want. And I suspect it'll be dog-slow if it does work.

But running PowerShell that way wouldn't work anyway, I don't think. First, you've just run PowerShell – you've not told it to do anything, like run a script. Second, I'm not really sure PowerShell would output to stdout in the way you're thinking, although I'm not sure what you're goal is, so I might be wrong on that.

Petr
      Participant

Currently I use cmd scripts and Perl scripts to do some jobs. They are launched by clicking on a web page link or a button. For example one script zips a selected folder and lets the user to download it. But I have many other such scripts. I think Powershell is cleaner language, more "future" and natural in Windows. Currently run the .bat and .ps1 from Perl script, but it is not what I like to do. The test.ps1 script mentioned above should only write Hello in the browser – to test the concept.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.