Running Command in Powershell

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Salamone Eric Salamone 2 years, 12 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric Salamone
    Eric Salamone
    Participant

We are having issues with SCCM clients, so we are uninstalling them and re-installing them. When I run ccmsetup.exe /uninstall it returns errors sometimes. Running msiexec /x client.msi seems to work better (not sure why). I created a script so to run, but when i have it run the "msiexec /x client.msi" it errors out with the "Start-Process" command.

Start-Process msiexec /x client.msi -workingDirectory "c:\windows\system32\ccmsetup....

so i tried to an Invoke-Expression after reading that powershell has issues sometimes with running cmd commands.

ex:
    $a = @'
    cmd.exe C/ c:\windows\system32\ccmsetup\msiexec /x client.msi
    '@

I can get it to run using start process if i just use "msiexec /x" , but it doesn't full run and errors out without "client.msi" being called.

I appreciate any help

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

It will probably work if you add quotation marks around the argument string that should be passed to msiexec:

Start-Process msiexec '/x client.msi' -WorkingDirectory 'c:\windows\system32\ccmsetup...'

If you did that without using positional parameters, it would look like this:

Start-Process -FilePath msiexec -ArgumentList '/x client.msi' -WorkingDirectory 'c:\windows\system32\ccmsetup...'

I can't test this exact command without having something handy to do with Windows Installer at the moment, but this example works fine for me:

Start-Process -FilePath $env:ComSpec -ArgumentList '/k echo Hello, World!' -WorkingDirectory $env:SystemRoot

Profile photo of Eric Salamone
      Eric Salamone
      Participant

Worked perfectly. I thought i wrote it out similar to that, but I used double quotes. If i did I wonder if the double quotes was causing an issue. Have to read more on the differences with double quotes and single.

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.