Running Powershell comand against a list of servers

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Akos Batorfi Akos Batorfi 7 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Jules Wale
    Jules Wale
    Participant

Hi

I am trying to list the number of times servers have been restarted.

I can log inot each server and run the following comand to get the information for each server:

Get-EventLog System | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | ft Machinename, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID, Message -AutoSize -Wrap >c:\scripts\Restart.txt

I am trying to create a script that I can run against a text file, that contains a list of all the servers.

I have tried to create the script but it does not work:

$ServerList = Get-Content "C:\Scripts\ServerList.txt"

foreach ($i in $ServerList)

{$i + "`n" + "=========================="; Get-EventLog System | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | ft Machinename, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID -AutoSize | Out-File c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt $i}

Could you help me will this?

What I would like is for all servers to be added to the same text file.

Many Thanks

Jules

Profile photo of Bob McCoy
    Bob McCoy
    Participant
  • Do your servers have PSRemoting enabled?
  • How many servers are we talking about?
  • Can you access all these servers in the same security context?
  • What version of PowerShell are you running?
Profile photo of Akos Batorfi
Akos Batorfi
Participant

Hi, what Bob said is right, but you were nearly there already, provided your security allows it:

foreach ($i in $ServerList){
    Write-Output $i "`n"+"==========================" | Out-File -FilePath c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt -Append
    $Output = Get-EventLog System -ComputerName "$i" | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | ft Machinename, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID -AutoSize
    $Output | Out-File -FilePath c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt -Append
 }
Jules Wale
Participant

PSRemoting is not currently enabled – Will emable
There are 85 Server in two domains
The script will be run on a DC on each domain so can use two sets of user credentials
I am currently upgrade all server to v3

Jules Wale
Participant

Thank you for your help.

After enabling PSRemoting on the servers the script ran perfectly!!

Cheers

Jules

Jules Wale
Participant

Hi,

I am trying to add the message to the output file and I get

Server01.Domain.Local 22/05/2015 17:18:44 Domain\admin 1076 The reason supplied by user Domain\admin for the last unexpected shutdown of this computer is: Other (Unplanned)...

I have added:

if( $Host -and $Host.UI -and $Host.UI.RawUI ) {
$rawUI = $Host.UI.RawUI
$oldSize = $rawUI.BufferSize
$typeName = $oldSize.GetType( ).FullName
$newSize = New-Object $typeName (500, $oldSize.Height)
$rawUI.BufferSize = $newSize

to the begining of the script but this does not make any difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jules

Profile photo of Joshua Barton
Joshua Barton
Participant

Jules, are you wanting it to not concatenate the end of the sentence there? "Other (Unplanned)..."

If so:

Write-Output $i "`n"+"==========================" | Out-File -FilePath c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt -Append
    $Output = Get-EventLog System -ComputerName "$i" | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | ft Machinename, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID, Message -AutoSize -Wrap
    $Output | Out-File -FilePath c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt -Append
 }

I added the -Wrap parameter. That's if you wanted it formatted as a table in-line. Typically I create objects first before formatting them, but this should work for you.

Edit: Oops, forgot to add the Message object there. Fixed. 🙂

Jules Wale
Participant

Thanks

I am looking for it to be a single line. I would like to be about a export the txt to a database or spreadsheet at a late point.

If it wraps then the file cannot be imported.

Thanks

Jules

Profile photo of Joshua Barton
Joshua Barton
Participant

If you plan to use it in a database or spreadsheet then you should probably have it delimited in some way. Easiest is to export as a csv. See if this will work for you:

$Events = Get-EventLog System -ComputerName "$i" | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | Select-Object MachineName, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID, Message
    $Events | Export-Csv -Path c:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt -Append -NoTypeInformation
 }

Note** You will need to delete/rename your current ServerRestart.txt file as it won't have the correct headers.

Profile photo of Akos Batorfi
Akos Batorfi
Participant

BTW, I don't get why enabling remoting made your script run perfectly, because there was no remoting used.. If you want to speed things up a little bit, you can actually start using remoting:

$block = {Get-EventLog System | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq "1074" -or $_.EventID -eq "6008" -or $_.EventID -eq "1076"} | ft Machinename, TimeWritten, UserName, EventID, Message -AutoSize -Wrap }

foreach ($Server in $ServerList){
Invoke-Command -ComputerName $Server -ScriptBlock $block -AsJob
}

While (Get-Job -State "Running") {    
    Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Running..."
    Start-Sleep 1        
}    

Get-Job| Receive-Job |Out-File C:\scripts\ServerRestart.txt
Write-Host -ForegroundColor Yellow "Done!"

Obviously you can change the Out-File statement to an Export-Csv statement as Joshua mentions as well 🙂

PS: I felt the need to put this in a blogpost too 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.