Running PowerShell.exe and getting return codes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  z442a9 4 months ago.

• Author

z442a9
    Participant

I need to run some powershell scripts directly from commandline like this:

powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoProfile -Command "& {C:\Scripts\MyPowerShellScript.ps1; exit $LastExitCode}"

Problem is that this will always return as 0 aka success even if something goes wrong in the script (syntax error etc.) How can I get the real exit code when running PowerShell scripts this way?

js
    Participant

The way I do something like that is, in the powershell script, exit with a code:

if ( $? -eq $false ) { exit 1 }

then I'd have to run the script with the -file option to get the error code back:

powershell -file whatever.ps1

Curtis Smith
    Participant

What you are doing appears to work just fine.

C:\>powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoProfile -Command "& c:\windows\asdf.exe"
    & : The term 'c:\windows\asdf.exe' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet,
    function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or
    if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
    At line:1 char:3
    + & c:\windows\asdf.exe
    +   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (c:\windows\asdf.exe:String) [],
        CommandNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

C:\>echo %errorlevel%
    C:\>powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoProfile -Command "& c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c"

C:\>powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -NoProfile -Command "& c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /c; exit 12"

js
      Participant

I was thinking of a case like this. test.ps1 contains this, which prints an error message if there's no file called foo:

dir foo

if I run "powershell -file test.ps1", it will normally return an errorcode of 0.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

PowerShell doesn't really write to stderr in the way you're thinking; you'd need to have the script use Write-Output to produce some result, which will be returned to stdout. Or, as noted, use the Exit command to set something to stderr.

z442a9
      Participant

Thank you all for the answers.

I eventually figured it out.

Example

Try {

do something

}

Catch {

Exit 1

}

This way I'm able to get it working and return exit code 1 in case of an error.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.