Running scripts in any computers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Profile photo of Forums Archives Forums Archives 5 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:11:57

Hi,

I want to create a script that runs no matter where they are in the computer.

Example:

Computer 1

User have: C:\Scripts\Working\PSmain_script.ps1
    Inside that script, there's a command to run another script in the same directory ".\PSdir_script.ps1".

After testing the script, the user sends those two scripts files to another user by e-mail.

Computer 2

The other user recieves the mail then save the scripts to C:\Temp\ directory.
    PS: This user has a PowerShell profile with the command "Set-Location C:\" in it.

So... when he tries to run the script it gives an error telling that the ".\PSdir_script.ps1" wasn't found, because there isn't any file in the C:\ called "PSdir_script.ps1".

I've tried to use the "Get-Location", but it always gave me the "C:\" path, no matter the source of the script.
    Any 1?

I'm trying to use this solution to get my script working:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=794

by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:17:45

You can use the following code to retrieve the location of the script that is being executed:

$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:27:36

Hi, thanks for the quick response, but I get this error:

"PS C:\Active Directory> $ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent
    Split-Path : Não é possível associar o argumento ao parâmetro 'Path' porque ele é uma cadeia de caracteres vazia.
    No linha:1 caractere:76
    + $ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split ...
    +
    ~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:PSObject) [Split-Path], Parameter BindingValidationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SplitPathCommand

PS C:\Active Directory>"

Error in english: Split-Path : Is not possible to associate the argument to the parameter 'Path' because it is a null chain... or something like this =p

by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:30:38

You have to put that code in the script that calls the other script. It won't work from the command prompt.

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 06:43:44

I've created a script with the line you gave to me:

Import-Module ActiveDirectory
    $ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent
    $ScriptDirectory
    pause

Opened Windows Explorer, went to the "Active Directory" directory and clicked twice in the test.ps1 file.
    The result of the $ScriptDirectory variable is the "C:\" and not the "C:\Active Directory" folder.

by powerschill at 2012-11-26 06:51:43

[quote]Opened Windows Explorer, went to the "Active Directory" directory and clicked twice in the test.ps1 file.[/quote]

You aren't able to double-click a PowerShell script to execute it. Did you make any changes to your system to make this possible?

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 07:31:07

How I'm not enabled to do that?
    I always use my scripts in that way...

I only choose to open in PowerShell all the ps1 files......

by vandreytrindade at 2012-11-26 07:35:57

It worked!
    What happened is that the command you gave me removed the directory that I wanted to be used: "C:\Active Directory"

"$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent | Split-Path -parent"
    So I removed that part and tested like that:

$ScriptDirectory = Split-Path $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition -Parent
    $actualdir = $ScriptDirectory.Remove(0,2)
    cd $actualdir
    dir

Thank you so much 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.