Scenario Training?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Rob Poirier
    Rob Poirier
    Participant

Hey guys,

I'm brand new to PowerShell (The extent of my knowledge is how to spell it). Ok...joking. I've used it a little bit at my job and I've gone through all of the "Getting Started with PowerShell 3.0 Jump Start" videos with Jason Helmick and Jeffry Snover.

For linux, there's a step by step DIY tutorial called the linux zoo (linuxzoo.net). I'm wondering if there's anything similar where it throws me into a shell and get's me to try/troubleshoot/create different things. That's how I learn, by doing. There's not much at my job in terms of a test environment so I was wondering if there was an alternative out there to say...creating a vm and throwing exchange on it etc..

Thanks,

Rob

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You could look at "Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches," which includes labs. There's a lot of non-discoverable complexity in PowerShell that really needs explaining before you just jump into production tasks. It's more complex than traditional shells, but if you skip that stuff it's easy to go wrong.

Profile photo of Istvan Szarka
    Istvan Szarka
    Participant

I've found the 2nd edition of PowerShell in Depth also invaluable. There's an excellent chapter about working with objects in Part 1, I strongly recommend it too!

Profile photo of Rich Beckett
    Rich Beckett
    Participant

In the past several years there has been a series of books published by Manning Publications, manning.com The best reference book is Bruce Payette's PowerShell in Action, 2nd edition. A number of lunch series are available including Learning PowerShell in Month of Lunches by Don Jones and Learn PowerShell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches by Don Jones and Jeff Hicks. In addition there is PowerShell in Practice and Powershell in Depth as mentioned by Istvan also available from Manning. I suggest that you get on the mailing list for Manning as they offer daily deals which can give you up to 50% savings.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PowerShell. Version 5.0 is available in CTP and promises some new and exciting things. PowerShell with Desired State Configuration (DSC) and PowerShell Web Access are also exciting new additions with PowerShell 4.0

Rob Poirier
    Participant

Wow, thanks guys! A lot of useful info here.I started reading your book Don. I think the labs will really help.

Thanks again,

Rob

Profile photo of Bjorn Houben
    Bjorn Houben

You might also want to take a look at the free Technet Virtual Labs : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/virtuallabs/bb467605.aspx
    They're a good way to get started.

Rob Poirier
    Participant

Wow! I didn't even know about those. Thanks Bjorn!

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

I didn't know about those either. I just fired up the DSC lab, but in the first 2 minutes, I can see that it's based on an early preview version of WMF 4.0, which is unfortunate. It's still using folders named "PSProviders" instead of "DSCResources" inside of modules, for instance, which won't work if you try that in production.

For DSC, stick with Steve Murawski's blog posts and the free DSC book available here. (I've heard that a new Microsoft Virtual Academy video on DSC is also going to be released sometime soon.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.