Author Posts

December 27, 2016 at 9:13 pm

I am using a great PS script I found to do some Hyper-V backups. As part of it it recommends using a ScheduledJob as follows:

$trigger = New-JobTrigger -Weekly -DaysOfWeek Friday -At 1:08AM
$options = New-ScheduledJobOption -RunElevated
$VMs = "VM1"

#specify script parameter values in order
Register-ScheduledJob -Name "Weekly VM Export" -FilePath c:\scripts\hypervbackup.ps1 -Trigger $trigger -ScheduledJobOption $options -ArgumentList $VMs,"F:\Hyper-V Exports",$False,$False

$trigger = New-JobTrigger -Weekly -DaysOfWeek Friday -WeeksInterval 4 -At 1:00AM
#reuse options and vms
Register-ScheduledJob -Name "Monthly VM Export" -FilePath c:\scripts\hypervbackup.ps1 -Trigger $trigger -ScheduledJobOption $options -ArgumentList $VMs,"F:\Hyper-V Exports",$True,$False

However, the scheduled job never runs. It runs fine when I run it manually.

I don't even know where to start. Where can I see any errors about this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help on this!

Paul.

December 27, 2016 at 9:54 pm

Have you tried checking the created scheduled job? I could imagine that "-FilePath" expects an executable. So if you want to run a Powershell script you should place the path to your powershell.exe in "-FilePath" and put "the rest" of the command to the "-ArgumentList" like this: "-NoProfile -File c:\scripts\hypervbackup.ps1 $VMs,'F:\Hyper-V Exports',$True,$False"

It is always recommended to read ALL of the help for the cmdlets you use including the examples.

December 28, 2016 at 1:09 am

well... how does one check the scheduled job? it is listed when query for it.

the strange thing is that I deployed the same scripts on another server and they did not work... and then one day... they just started working. I tried to figure out why that started working and don't see anything different.

December 28, 2016 at 6:56 am

you job saved under current user credentials without saved password.
thus it can run if current user logged into server
may be 'start as batch job' right also involved