Author Posts

September 16, 2013 at 9:21 am

Howdy,
I'm trying to work out a script that will get the current year/month/date and it has to be in unix utc format, then I want to specify it to always be 12:00am for the start time and 11:59pm for the end time in the command I have to run which is below.

I have to schedule this powershell script as a scheduled task. Once the task completes I need to email the result on whether it ran or failed to someone. I've got it close I think but I can't get the date correct and then I also tried using & 'command as shown below' as well as iex 'command as shown below', what's the right way?

#I think the command below puts the date correctly and the time at 12:00am, but how do I statically set 11:59pm so I only do the logs for the 1 day?
$Time = get-date -format %y%m%d00000

# "iex" is an alias for the invoke-expression cmd
iex "c:\Program Files (x86)\app\util>up.exe -b $Time $Time 1 1""

# $? lets us know if the previous command was successful or not
# $LASTEXITCODE gives us the exit code of the last Win32 exe execution
if (!$? -OR $LASTEXITCODE -gt 0)

send-mailmessage -from "dev01@devlab.local" -to "test.user@devlab.local>" -subject "Log Upload Failure" -body "Scheduled task to upload logs on server Dev01 failed." -priority High -dno onSuccess, onFailure -smtpServer smtp.devlab.local

September 16, 2013 at 9:30 am

In terms of statically doing the time, PowerShell can accept a string in a date format, and parse it as a date. So...

[datetime]$now = "$((Get-Date).ToShortDateString()) 11:59PM"

Would create a datetime with today's date at 11:59pm today.

BTW, $? doesn't necessarily let us know if the previous command was successful. It's kind of up to the previous command to set a nonzero exit code if it failed. If your command does so, great. $lastexitcode is probably more reliable for external commands, if you know what exit codes they return. Just be aware of that.

You don't technically need either & or Invoke-Expression. You can just run the command – e.g., I can run "ping" without wrapping it in anything. I don't have Up.exe to test with, but unless it's doing something illegal in terms of the characters it uses for its arguments, it should accept the command line without being in a string or script block.

As a note, when you have two discrete issues, consider posting them in separate posts. That way we can focus on each one. A post about "getting right date format" and "running external command" would help make sure the right folks are looking at your post – we tend to look at the subjects to see if it's a post we think we can help with; when you bundle multiple stuff into one post you might be missing out on some great advice!

Be aware that, currently, your If construct is not correctly formed.

September 16, 2013 at 9:43 am

if you are after a unix formatted date wouldn't you be better off with -UFormat ?

I ran you date creation line and got an odd result
£> get-date -format %y%m%d00000

I think you want
£> get-date -format %y%M%d00000

m is for minutes & M is for month

as for your second time – does this work for you
£> get-date -Hour 23 -Minute 59 -Second 59 -Format %y%M%d%h%m%s

September 17, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Thanks, here's what I came up with to get the time in epoch format for a current time which the .exe requires that I'm trying to run and then the earlier time which is 5 hours earlier. The time was a lot of searching, but it's the only way I could get it to come out right, if there's easier methods I'd definitely like to know.

$Now = [int][double]::Parse($(Get-Date -date (Get-Date).ToUniversalTime()-uformat %s))
$Before = [int][double]::Parse($(Get-Date -date (Get-Date).AddHours(-9).ToUniversalTime()-uformat %s))

Then I ran the command as shown below and I'm still confused as to the "correct" way to specify a ".exe" that requires parameters as I've read a bunch of info such as the links below.

& "c:\Program Files (x86)\ATDIR\util\upload.exe" -b $Now $Before 1 1

After this I'm stuck on the "IF" statement on reporting if the scheduled task runs correctly, there's no log file I can refer to so that I can ensure the script works, the .exe doesn't allow a parameter.

And once that is done it's a matter of getting the email sent out with the results.

September 17, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Sending the email is probably the easy part – use the Send-MailMessage cmdlet as you had in your original post

As for knowing if the exe worked or not

$lastexitcode may work for you

£> ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
£> $LASTEXITCODE
£> ping 10.10.98.99

Pinging 10.10.98.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.10.98.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
£> $LASTEXITCODE

so it should pick up the state of your exe
£> ping 127.0.0.1 ; if ($LASTEXITCODE -eq 0){"Good"}else{"Bad"}

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
Good
£> ping 10.10.98.99 ; if ($LASTEXITCODE -eq 0){"Good"}else{"Bad"}

Pinging 10.10.98.99 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 10.10.98.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
Bad

The only other way to check the correct completion would depend on the exe's actions eg a file is created, deleted, moved etc