Scripting file replacement across local profiles

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Paul Goffar
    Paul Goffar
    Participant

Hello,

I've run into a snag and I hope someone can assist. Here's the short version...

1. Grab all users on a workstation
    2. For each user, check for folder path
    3. If the path exists, check for multiple folders in that path and replace a file within each one

Easy enough right? Not so much... here is what i have so far

#>

< # Variables #>
    $users= Get-Childitem "c:\users" | Select-Object -Property name 
    $profiles=Get-ChildItem "c:\users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" | select-object name
    $ffox = "c:\users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\secmod.db"

Foreach ($user in $users)

{
        $profiles=Get-ChildItem "c:\users\$user\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles" | select-object name

Foreach ($profile in $profiles){
                    if ((Test-Path $ffox) -eq $true)
                        {Copy-item "\\networkshare.fq.dn\c$\directory\file.txt" -Destination "\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\$ffprofile" -Force 
                             write-host $user $ffprofile}
        }
    }

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

There are a couple of things that jump out at me as being off. Your Test-Path command is working against a wildcard instead of the $profile variable of your foreach loop, and your Copy-Item command is using $ffprofile instead $profile. That said, Get-ChildItem has some nice behavior with wildcard paths that can simplify your code quite a bit. Try this:

Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*\secmod.db' |
    ForEach-Object {
        Copy-Item -Path '\\networkshare.fq.dn\c$\directory\file.txt' -Destination $_.DirectoryName
    }

Profile photo of Paul Goffar
    Paul Goffar
    Participant

Dave,

I appreciate all of the help. Who knew that posting to my two favorite forums, i would get help on both from the same person!

My test path command was there because that DB file is the one I need to write over. Really i could lose that all together. If I can keep any folder within \Profiles as an object and just copy that file into each one of those objects. I haven't had to work with multiple foreach statements yet so I think i'm "tying my shoelaces together."

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

If you aren't concerned with that secmod.db file, then you can leave that part out. This would work:

Get-ChildItem -Path 'C:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\*' -Directory |
    ForEach-Object {
        Copy-Item -Path '\\networkshare.fq.dn\c$\directory\file.txt' -Destination $_.FullName
    }

(The -Directory switch to Get-ChildItem requires at least PowerShell 3.0. If you're running 2.0, you can take that out and use Where-Object { $_.PSISContainer } instead.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.