Search EventLogs all DCs in Forest

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jeff Taylor Jeff Taylor 2 hours, 44 minutes ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jeff Taylor
    Jeff Taylor
    Participant

I have been testing this bit of code:

Get-EventLog "Directory Service" | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq 1864}

and works great on a local DC but was hoping to first get all DC's in the forest then query for that EventID:

...this works on its own as well:

foreach ($domain in ((get-adforest).domains)) { get-addomaincontroller -filter * -server $domain  | sort hostname  | select -Property hostname }

How would I pipe the second into the first?

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

Usually there are several ways to accomplish a given task

$HostNames = foreach ($domain in ((get-adforest).domains)) { get-addomaincontroller -filter * -server $domain  | sort hostname  | select -Property hostname }
    Foreach($Hostname in $Hostnames){
        Get-EventLog "Directory Service" -ComputerName $Hostname | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq 1864}
    }

BTW: Get-WinEvent is the more modern and flexible option to get events from the event log

Jeff Taylor
      Participant

Under an admin ise, I've tried your code in two different forests and although the $Hostnames has the correct fqdn of the DCs, it appears the second foreach has an issue:

Get-EventLog : The network path was not found.
      At line:3 char:5
      +     Get-EventLog "Directory Service" -ComputerName $Hostname | Where- 

for each host object in the pipeline.

I've also tried this Get-WinEvent code in these two forests:

$HostNames = foreach ($domain in ((get-adforest).domains)) { get-addomaincontroller -filter * -server $domain  | sort hostname  | select -Property hostname }
          Get-WinEvent -LogName "Directory Service"  -ComputerName $Hostname  | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq 1864}
      }

but get a different error in each forest for each host object in the pipeline:

Get-WinEvent : The RPC server is unavailable

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

Sometimes it helps to see what's going on ... at least for me. 😉

You could have checked what's in '$HostNames'. That might have guided you already to the issue. OR you could have put a 'Write-Debug' or 'Write-Verbose' to the loop to show what's used as the '$Hostname'

Anyway ... the solution should be: Either you extract the 'naked' HostNames in your $HostNames like this:

$HostNames = foreach ($domain in ((get-adforest).domains)) { get-addomaincontroller -filter * -server $domain  | sort hostname  | select -ExpandProperty hostname }

!! PLease pay attention to the last 'Select-Object' !!
    Or you use the 'HostName' property of your '$Hostname' loop variable ... like this:

Get-WinEvent -LogName "Directory Service"  -ComputerName $($Hostname.HostName)  | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq 1864}
    }

Or like this:

Foreach($Hostname in $Hostnames.HostName){
        Get-WinEvent -LogName "Directory Service"  -ComputerName $Hostname  | Where-Object {$_.EventID -eq 1864}
    }
      Jeff Taylor
      Participant

thank you Olaf...going to play a bit

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.