Search log files for ReturnCode:

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adam Bertram Adam Bertram 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Wilfredo Perez
    Wilfredo Perez
    Participant

We are using Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and it creates a log for each machine on the network. We have all the logs in one network folder. Example of the log:

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v5.2, July 2013 (build 5.2.9201.0)
    Started On Tue Aug 20 13:34:54 2013
    Results Summary:
    —————-
    No infection found.
    Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool Finished On Tue Aug 20 13:35:05 2013
    Return code: 0 (0x0)

I am using this powershell script:

Get-ChildItem -Path "\\ServerName\msft_log\Logs" -Filter "*.log" | Select-String "Return Code: 10" – works fine if the Return Code is 10

Get-ChildItem -Path "\\Servername\msft_log\Logs" -Filter "*.log" | Select-String -Pattern Return Code:[1-13] – I need this one to work. It runs and I do not see any results or error messages

NOTE: The Return code: are 0 -13

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Try a pattern of 'Return code: \d+' . [1-13] doesn't mean quite what you intended in a regular expression.

Profile photo of Wilfredo Perez
    Wilfredo Perez
    Participant

Dave,
    I did place the \d+ and it gave me everything. I did the following:
    Get-ChildItem -Path "\\Servername\msft_log\Logs" -Filter "*.log" | Select-String 'Return Code: [1-13]'
    and it gave my the results I wanted.

\\servername\msft_log\Logs\computername$_mrt.log:83:Return code: 10 (0xa)
    \\servernam\msft_log\Logs\computername$_mrt.log:57:Return code: 1 (0x1)
    \\servernam\msft_log\Logs\computername$_mrt.log:57:Return code: 1 (0x1)

Thanks for your help

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

Try this pattern:

^Return code: [0-9][0-3]?

This is looking for a line starting with the pattern and matches any number from 0-13

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.