Search string on remote server error

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Search string on remote server error

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by

Participant
1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author

Participant

Hi,
    Wrote a script which will loop through multiple server and store the output in a file. But, the script is giving me an error.

Get-Content .\server.txt |
    ForEach-Object{
    get-childitem "c:\test\*" -recurse | SELECT-STRING -pattern "$11t$dpo3"
    }|
    Select path, pattern, Linenumber |
    Export-Csv C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Test\Search_String\string_match_results.csv -NoType

Error:
    Select-String : Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Pattern' because it is an empty string.
    At C:\Users\admin\Desktop\Test\Search_String\Final.ps1:5 char:68
    + get-childitem "c:\opscripts\*" -recurse | SELECT-STRING -pattern "$11t$dpo3"
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidData: (:) [Select-String], ParameterBindingValidationExceptio
    n
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ParameterArgumentValidationErrorEmptyStringNotAllowed,Microsoft.Powe
    rShell.Commands.SelectStringCommand

Can someone please guide me on this.

-Kalyan

Participant
    Helping Hand

The error message is actually pretty clear. The "pattern" you provide for your Select-String is empty. Why? Because in Powershell variables start with a $ sign. So Powershell "thinks" you want to provide the two variables "$11t" and "$dpo3". And they are – I assume – empty because you did not declare them, right?

What do you actually mean with "$11t$dpo3"? Should it be taken literal? Then you could enclose it in single quotes and use the parameter -SimpleMatch. If it should be a regular expression I think it does not make sense this way. Because the $ sign represents the end of the line or the end of the string and it does not make sense to have two of them in one short string.

Participant

Thanks. -SimpleMatch worked.

-Kalyan

The topic ‘Search string on remote server error’ is closed to new replies.