Select OUTPUT of a calculated property

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of 37mm 37mm 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

How do I just select the first output of the macaddress field.

Get-ADComputer -Filter * -Property * | Select-Object name, dnshostname, operatingsystem, operatingsystemservicepack, ipv4address, lastlogondate, logoncount, @{ label = "PingResults"; Expression = { tnc $_.ipv4address -InformationLevel Quiet }},@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression = ({(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter).macaddress})}

When I try this
    @{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression = ({(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter).macaddress | select @{n='Mac Address';e={ $_.Name.split(',')[0].trim() }}})

I get @{Mac Address=} in the column...
    Thanks again for the help!

Profile photo of Stephen Owen
    Stephen Owen
    Participant

Two things:

1. You need to add a -ComputerName parameter to your expression, otherwise you're going to be selecting your own Macaddress every time this runs.

2. I think your calculated property code was a bit too complex, too many select statements. I shortened it to the following.

@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression={(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter) | ? MacAddress -ne $null | select -first 1 -expand MacAddress}}

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant
    Get-ADComputer -Filter * -Property * | Select-Object name, dnshostname, operatingsystem, operatingsystemservicepack, ipv4address, lastlogondate, logoncount, @{ label = "PingResults"; Expression = { tnc $_.ipv4address -InformationLevel Quiet }},@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression = ({(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter).macaddress | select @{n='Mac Address';e={ $_.Name.split(',')[1].trim() }}})}

this is the full line of code. I am trying to pull mac address on a domain query inventory report

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Ok soo currently I am only pulling my local address, smh.

How do I pass the computer name for each computer?

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression={(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter -ComputerName $_.name).macaddress}}

This works, but i Get alot of null values

Profile photo of Stephen Owen
    Stephen Owen
    Participant

Use my logic in the Calculated property, it filters out nulls for you.

Expression={(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter -ComputerName $_.Name) | ? MacAddress -ne $null | select -first 1 -expand MacAddress}}

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

This works thanks brother you got the ball rolling!

@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression={(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter -ComputerName $_.name).macaddress -ne $null

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Saw your post after I posted, Yes that works great now the question how to know that I am getting the mac of the Ethernet connection

Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

If you filter by the adapter type, you can get the macaddress of all of your ethernet adapters. If you need a specific ethernet adapter, you will need to know the name of it.

@{ label = "Mac Address"; Expression={(Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapter | Where-Object {$_.AdapterType -eq "Ethernet 802.3"}).macaddress -ne $null}}

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

Thanks for the input Curtis. I am running it now. I there a reason you ommited the $_.name variable after defining the wmi object? I figure it was a mistake?

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant
    Profile photo of Curtis Smith
    Curtis Smith
    Participant

Sorry, I was just testing against my local machine, but yes add -ComputerName $_.name back to run against remote machines.

Profile photo of 37mm
    37mm
    Participant

I credited you in the creation of tool.
    Thanks a bunch shoot me a email g60wall@gmail.com
    Cheers!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.