Select part of string

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior 10 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mark Prior
    Mark Prior
    Participant

Can never bend my head around these scenarios

Get-Mailbox Hello.UK.Pensions | select grantsendonbehalfto -ExpandProperty grantsendonbehalfto

Gives me the below

{global.xxxx.com/Europe/United Kingdom/London Campus/Human Resources/Human Resources (Europe)/Users/Elaine Bates}

How do i only select all charectors after the last "/" except the "}", so in this case to end up withe "Elaine Bates"

thanks

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant
    '{global.xxxx.com/Europe/United Kingdom/London Campus/Human Resources/Human Resources (Europe)/Users/Elaine Bates}' -match '.*/(.+)}'
    $Matches[1]
    Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

(Get-Mailbox Hello.UK.Pensions | select -ExpandProperty grantsendonbehalfto) -split '/' | select -Last 1

Profile photo of Dan Potter
    Dan Potter
    Participant

you'll have to foreach and join for any that include multiples.

Mark Prior
    Participant

thanks Olaf

thats great, however if i get multipe results ?

{global.xxxx.com/Europe/United Kingdom/London Campus/Human Resources/Human Resources (Europe)/Users/Elaine Bates}
    {global.xxxx.com/Europe/United Kingdom/Newcastle/Users/Mark Prior}

need something with intelligence to pick out more than one name and ideally put it into a string or text file

Mark Prior
    Participant
    $results = (Get-Mailbox hello.UK.Pensions | select -ExpandProperty grantsendonbehalfto) 

$names = foreach ($result in $results)
    {
    $result -split '/' | select -Last 1 
    }

Thanks both have the above working, best thing about PS is theres always more than one way to achieve what you want

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by Profile photo of Mark Prior Mark Prior.
      Profile photo of Liam Fisher
      Liam Fisher
      Participant

If you want to join your results up use the [string]::join(string separator, string[] values) method.

$Results = Get-Mailbox Hello.UK.Pensions | select grantsendonbehalfto -ExpandProperty grantsendonbehalfto
      $ArrResults = $Results | ForEach-Object {$_ -split '/' | Select -Last 1}

# If you want to join them then use [string]::join(string seperator, string[] values)
      $FriendlyResult = [string]::Join(', ', $ArrResults)

Liam

Mark Prior
    Participant

thanks liam, not needed but im sure i will use later down the line 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.