Selecting First 3 objects in an array

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Prior 3 months ago.

• Author

Mark Prior
    Participant

Hi All

not something ive really needed to do before however i need to rename the (Name) displayed in ADUAC, managed to find the correct CMDLETs however i dont just want to press the button, would like to try on a few to test first. -Whatif is fine but i cant see what the name changed to / if it changed correctly.

so i would like to select the first 3 users in $users rename those and check

$users = get-aduser -Filter * -SearchBase “OU=Users,OU=kuala Lumpur,OU=Malaysia,OU=Australasia,DC=global,DC=Domain,DC=com” -SearchScope Subtree -Properties displayname 

foreach ($user in $users)
    {
        Rename-ADObject $user.DistinguishedName -NewName $user.displayname -WhatIf
    }

Ben Camareno
    Participant

Pipe get ad users to select -first 3:

get-aduser -filter * | select -first 3

Mark Prior
    Participant

Thanks Ben, nice and simple 🙂

Ben Camareno
      Participant

No worries! Glad it helped you.

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Although querying ALL users just for the first three that happen to come back is pretty brutal on the domain controller, from a performance perspective.

Ben Camareno
      Participant

Should be alright.

Mark Prior
      Participant

hey Don

i thought with "searchbase" it would only query the objects within scope ?

js
    Participant

or

$users[0..2]

or

$users[0,1,2]

Ben Camareno
      Participant

You still need to assign $Users though. :/

Chris Bakker
      Participant

(get-aduser -filter * )[0..2]

Rob Dowell
    Participant

I can't test it right this second, but I think -ResultSetSize 3 would limit the query to just the first three found. That should reduce any pounding on the DC before it even starts.

Mark Prior
      Participant

Yep -ResultSetSize 3 also works 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.