Server 2016 Core + PsDscRunAsCredential

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Zuldan Zuldan 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Zuldan
    Zuldan
    Participant

We've been running our DSC on Windows 2012 R2 GUI and Core for a while and it's been working perfectly. Recently we decided to move to 2016 GUI and Core. Running a consistency check works perfectly fine on Windows 2016 GUI (1607 + May CU), however when running a consistency check on Windows 2016 Core, every resource using PsDscRunAsCredential gets an "The filename or extension is too long" error.

I thought maybe it was a certificate issue but I double checked our certificate settings against https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/dsc/securemof and they have the correct settings.

VERBOSE: [S16AUMDC01TST01]: LCM:  [ Start  Resource ]  [[cScheduleTask]PowershellHelpUpdateScheduledTask]
    VERBOSE: [S16AUMDC01TST01]: LCM:  [ Start  Test     ]  [[cScheduleTask]PowershellHelpUpdateScheduledTask]
    VERBOSE: [S16AUMDC01TST01]: LCM:  [ End    Test     ]  [[cScheduleTask]PowershellHelpUpdateScheduledTask]  in 0.0470 seconds.
    Invoke-CimMethod : The filename or extension is too long
    At C:\Program Files\WindowsPowerShell\Modules\BVISMServerEnforcer\Functions\Public\Invoke-BVEnforcerCheck.ps1:20 char:5
    +     Invoke-CimMethod -CimSession $ServerName -Name PerformRequiredCon ...
    +     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : AuthenticationError: (:) [Invoke-CimMethod], CimException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Win32Error:206,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand
        + PSComputerName        : s16aumdc01tst01

Anyone have any ideas?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

I've pinged a few folks on this.

Profile photo of Zuldan
    Zuldan
    Participant

Thank you very much Don. I've discovered the issue exists on both Core and GUI. I've consolidated all the information on this post here https://powershell.org/forums/topic/server-2016-the-filename-or-extension-is-too-long/.

If you can close this post that would be great.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.