Set-DNSServerCache cmdlet

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Thom Schumacher 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Michael Maher

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to understand this syntax in the help for Set-DNSServerCache.

The parameter MaxTTL is described as follows in the online help. I'm wondering how I should interpret the datatype

Specifies how many seconds (0x0-0xFFFFFFFF) a record is saved in cache. If you use the 0x0 setting, the DNS server does not cache records. The default setting is 0x15180 (86,400 seconds, or one day).

It looks like I pass it the value in seconds but the information provided isn't really clear. I don't want to mess up my DC/DNS.

Furthermore, if I run this cmdlet I get a different format

Get-DnsServerCache -ComputerName localhost | Select MaxTTL, ZoneName
    MaxTTL      ZoneName                                                                                                                                         
    ------      --------                                                                                                                                         
    1.00:00:00  .   

There is only one example provided for the Set-DNSServerCache cmdlet and it doesn't cover my use case.

Does anyone know how to interpret this? I don't have a test W2012R2 DC to play with unfortunately

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Michael Maher. Reason: included Technet url

Thom Schumacher

The datatype for MAXTTL is of Type Timespan:

c:\(get-dnsservercache).maxttl -is [timespan]

I believe to set that you can use the new-timespan cmdlet:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.