set-location and enter-pssession

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tmack8080 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

RobertRosas
    Participant

I am unable to use the set-location command after I have connected to remote computer using enter-pssession. Is this possible?

Thank for any help!

Robert

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Provided the location you specify exists and you have permission, and the Remoting endpoint doesn't prevent it, then yes.

tmack8080
      Participant

What happens if you:
      PS> Enter-PSSession $Hostname
      PS> Test-Path $ThePathYouWantToSet-LocationTo

RobertRosas
    Participant

Thank you.... Don

The location does exist.

This is a domain computer. I can use the set-location command when I am physically on the machine:

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> hostname
    OWT2077

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Set-Location -Path \\owsms\Infotech

PS Microsoft.PowerShell.Core\FileSystem::\\owsms\Infotech>

When connect to OWT2077 using enable-pssession and try using the set-location command I get this:

[owt2077]: PS C:\Users\e139022\Documents> Set-Location "\\owsms\infotech"

Set-Location : Access is denied
    + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (\\owsms\infotech:String) [Set-Location], UnauthorizedAcc
    essException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemExistsUnauthorizedAccessError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.SetLocation
    Command

I don't understand where the PermissionDenied is coming from?

Thank you again for your input!

Robert

Don Jones
    Keymaster

Ah. You're attempting to connect to a UNC. That won't work in the default Remoting world because your delegated credential cannot be delegated across a second hop. This is “the second hop problem;” see same in “Secrets of PowerShell Remoting” on our ebooks menu. You would be perhaps better cresting a new PSDrive to the UNC, as you can provide explicit credentials to do so.

RobertRosas
    Participant

Thank you Don!

I have to say – I didn't expect to get a response from someone with your level of skill and recognition. I am pretty new to PowerShell but I have completely absorbed myself in it. I have taken your "Play by Play: PowerShell from Idea to Action" on Pluralsight. I also have listened to you on Channel 9. I have taken the courses on MVA taught by Jason Helmick and Jeffery Snover. Jeffery Snover is always touting how great the PowerShell community is. After this experience – I am can see why. You guys are all great teachers and I enjoy learning from all of you. So Thank You for sacrifices and time you give.

Robert Rosas

tmack8080
    Participant

Don ... that guy 😉

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.