Set-MsolUserPassword with a csv file

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Byron Grogan Byron Grogan 1 year, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Byron Grogan
    Byron Grogan
    Participant

I am wondering whether anyone has attempted to set multiple MSOL passwords using the Set-MsolUserPassword cmdlet with a csv file?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yes.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

Aside from not liking to put plain-text passwords into something like a CSV file, this should be pretty easy. Assuming you had a CSV file with Username and Password columns, the standard boilerplate PowerShell code could look something like this:

Import-Csv .\yourCsvFile.csv |
    ForEach-Object {
        Do-Something -Username $_.Username -Password $_.Password
    }

I don't know what Set-MsolUserPassword's parameters are, off the top of my head, but you get the idea. You might need to convert the string passwords into SecureString objects first, using ConvertTo-SecureString -AsPlainText -Force , and so on.

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

You'd be after -NewPassword and -UserPrincipalName, both of which actually accept pipeline input ByPropertyName. So if the CSV had columns named "NewPassword" and "UserPrincipalName"...

Import-CSV Data.csv | Set-MsolUserPassword

Usually works. I usually end up using -TenantId as well, of course.

Profile photo of Byron Grogan
    Byron Grogan
    Participant

This worked for me

Import-Csv File.csv | ForEach-Object { Set-MsolUserPassword -ForceChangePassword $false -UserPrincipalName $_.UserPrincipalName -NewPassword $_.NewPassword }

🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.