Setting a static DNS address on an adapter

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  JohnM 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

ncage
    Participant

I have a variety of situations where my dns settings need to be different. Its been a pain to manually change them every time so i decided to create a powershell script to automate this:

$wmi = (Get-WmiObject win32_networkadapterconfiguration -filter "ipenabled ='true' and DHCPEnabled='true'" | ? {$_.Description -eq "Intel Nic Adapter #2"})
    $dnsServers = @("208.67.222.222", "208.67.220.220")
    $wmi.SetDNSServerSearchOrder($dnsServers)

The script executes without any errors but when i go check the specific adapter i'm targeting its settings haven't changed from their default of obtaining the dns automatically. I don't need to change any other setting except for the DNS Server addresses. I've checked the $wmi object above and i verified it is the adapter i want to be changed. I also tried to pass in a static string to SetDNSServerSearchOrder ($wmi.SetDNSServerSearchOrder("208.67.220.220")) but that didn't work either. I'm not running the script as administrator and i'm assuming thats ok since i didn't receive any errors when running the script. This probably doesn't matter but this script is running on Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Any help would be appreciated.

postanote
    Participant

PoSH notwithstanding, on / in windows proper, system-wide settings and or device changes, even changing the system clock, requires admin privileges.

So, give this a shot in a PoSH admin session and see if the results are the same as non-admin.

ncage
      Participant

Thanks postanote for the reply. That worked. Weird it didn't give me any error Any idea why? Is it because i'm dealing with wmi and not a true powershell object?

JohnM
    Participant

There is a #requires you can add to the top of your script so that it will produce an error if you are not running as an admin. I have to use this every once in a while so that I remember months later.

#Requires -RunAsAdministrator

Read more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_requires?view=powershell-5.1

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.