Setting 'RebootIfNeeded' throughout the Configuration

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Jacqueline Porter Jacqueline Porter 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jacqueline Porter
    Jacqueline Porter
    Participant

Dear all,
    I have a huge configuration of an application development server that needs to reboot a few times.
    I've configured the LCM with 'RebootNodeIfNeeded = $True' and I'm using xPendingReboot to control the reboots throughout the config. I'm not using a pull server.

At some point in the config I don't want the node to auto-reboot anymore. But AFAIK I can only change the RebootNodeIfNeeded setting by running Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager again.

I tried something like this:

Script DisableAutoReboot {  
        SetScript  = {
            Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager -Path c:\DSC\DisableAutoReboot
        }
        TestScript = {
        $val = $True
        If ((Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager).RebootNodeIfNeeded) {
                 $val = $False
            }
        return $val
        }
        GetScript  = {
            @{Result = (Get-DscLocalConfigurationManager).RebootNodeIfNeeded}
            }
        }
       }
     }

But then I get: The Start-DscConfiguration cmdlet is in progress and must return before Set-DscLocalConfigurationManager can be invoked.

My question is, is this even possible? Apologies if this is a beginner question.

Jacqueline

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

It's really not. You're correct in that you have to reconfigure the LCM, and you can't do that while it's processing a configuration. The most you could do is manually inject a new meta-MOF, but it wouldn't be processed until the next run.

Profile photo of Jacqueline Porter
      Jacqueline Porter
      Participant

Thanks for the answer. I will break up the Configuration in smaller pieces then.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.