Setting Retention Policy Issues

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mark DiPofi Mark DiPofi 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mark DiPofi
    Mark DiPofi
    Participant

I am able to use the following command to set a mailbox retention to $null (Example 1:). However when I try to do a bulk set (Example 2) the command executes but it does not set the Retention Policy to $NULL. Instead it displays the following on the screen

. [b] WARNING: The command completed successfully but no settings of "user name' have been modified[/b]

Example 1
    Set-Mailbox John -RetentionPolicy $Null

Example 2
    $UserMailboxes = Get-Mailbox -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox')} $UserMailboxes | Set-Mailbox –RetentionPolicy $Null

Any advise as to why it might not work in bulk mode or something wrong with the syntax.

Profile photo of Tim Pringle
    Tim Pringle
    Participant

Hey Marl,

At first glance, just looks like you a new line.

Instead of : $UserMailboxes = Get-Mailbox -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox')} $UserMailboxes | Set-Mailbox –RetentionPolicy $Null

Use –
    $UserMailboxes = Get-Mailbox -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox')}
    $UserMailboxes | Set-Mailbox –RetentionPolicy $Null

Or Alternatively –

Get-Mailbox -Filter {(RecipientTypeDetails -eq 'UserMailbox')} | Set-Mailbox –RetentionPolicy $Null

Can you try that?

Profile photo of Mark DiPofi
    Mark DiPofi
    Participant

Thank you for the information. I checked everything is morning and all the retention policies were set.

I did not get a chance to run your script but it does look correct from my knowledge of powershell.

FYI: As I was writing this response to you I had MS call me and informed me that the error message was normal. They said in the backend the changes were made and there was nothing else to change.

I guess the Exchange GUI was not displaying it correctly (mostly a timing issue).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.