Setting up a pull server fails and I am stuck

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Wyatt Dave Wyatt 2 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Harold Stultiens
    Harold Stultiens
    Participant

Okay I went to the scripts of setting up my pull server but ran into a problem that more people ran in but I have not found a good sollution:

Everything looks fine and setup correctly but when the command invoke-ciminstance is ran it fails:

Here is my setup:
    w2012R2 pull server

VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Invoke-CimMethod: PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks" on target
    "MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager".
    VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, "methodName' =
    PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks,'className' = MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' =
    root/microsoft/windows/desiredstateconfiguration'.
    VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer W2012R2 with user sid S-1-5-21-2747411699-1400834862-2644849549-500.
    Invoke-CimMethod : The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    At Z:\dsc\SetupDSC.ps1:83 char:1
    + Invoke-CimMethod -ComputerName W2012R2 -Namespace root/microsoft/windows/desired ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : MetadataError: (root/microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [Invoke-CimMethod], CimExcepti
    on
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 12,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand
    + PSComputerName : W2012R2

In the eventlog it is showing this:

Job {D5FAB518-921C-4430-AEB7-D8EF1BCE5BF4} :
    This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is processing the configuration. ErrorId is 0xC. ErrorDetail is The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.. ResourceId is [WindowsFeature]Backup and SourceInfo is Z:\Dsc\SampleConfig.ps1::3::3::WindowsFeature. ErrorMessage is Could not get the module with the following name: MSFT_RoleResource. Check if the module exists under PSModulePath..

DSC Engine Error :
    Error Message The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    Error Code : 12

Job {D5FAB518-921C-4430-AEB7-D8EF1BCE5BF4} :
    This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is trying to get the configuration from pull server using download manager WebDownloadManager. ErrorId is 0xC. ErrorDetail is The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.

and now I am stuck, no clue where to go from here

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

That looks familiar. If I remember correctly, it happens because you've deployed a server with an early release of Server 2012 R2 (such as the ISOs on MSDN), and haven't yet installed an important update: KB2883200 . Check to see if this update is installed on your 2012 R2 server(s), and if not, install it and recompile your MOF files. Should work then.

Harold Stultiens
    Participant

Thank you Dave but that one is installed:

Source Description HotFixID InstalledBy InstalledOn
    —— ———– ——– ———– ———–
    W2012R2 Update KB2883200 W2012R2\Administr... 10-5-2014 00:00:00

Dave Wyatt

On both the pull server and the machine that's receiving the configuration?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Yeah, the error indicates that the target node – the machine applying the config – can't find the MSFT_RoleResource DSC resource. That resource is included in the OS, but if KB2883200 isn't installed, the LCM won't find the resource.

Harold Stultiens
    Participant

mmm, I uninstalled the KB2883200 and reinstalled it both on my windows 8.1 and server 2012R2 but I get the same error:

Confirm
    Continue with this operation?
    [Y] Yes [A] Yes to All [H] Halt Command [?] Help (default is "Y"): y
    VERBOSE: Performing the operation "Invoke-CimMethod: PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks" on target
    "MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager".
    VERBOSE: Perform operation 'Invoke CimMethod' with following parameters, "methodName' =
    PerformRequiredConfigurationChecks,'className' = MSFT_DscLocalConfigurationManager,'namespaceName' =
    root/microsoft/windows/desiredstateconfiguration'.
    VERBOSE: An LCM method call arrived from computer W2012R2 with user sid S-1-5-21-2747411699-1400834862-2644849549-500.
    Invoke-CimMethod : The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    At Z:\dsc\SetupDSC.ps1:83 char:1
    + Invoke-CimMethod -ComputerName W2012R2 -Namespace root/microsoft/windows/desired ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : MetadataError: (root/microsoft/...gurationManager:String) [Invoke-CimMethod], CimExcepti
    on
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : MI RESULT 12,Microsoft.Management.Infrastructure.CimCmdlets.InvokeCimMethodCommand
    + PSComputerName : W2012R2

VERBOSE: Operation 'Invoke CimMethod' complete.
    DEBUG: See if the feature is installed

Job {20F462C7-3C9B-4C6C-830E-F763F768F585} :
    This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is processing the configuration. ErrorId is 0xC. ErrorDetail is The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.. ResourceId is [WindowsFeature]Backup and SourceInfo is Z:\Dsc\SampleConfig.ps1::3::3::WindowsFeature. ErrorMessage is Could not get the module with the following name: MSFT_RoleResource. Check if the module exists under PSModulePath..

DSC Engine Error :
    Error Message The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.
    Error Code : 12

This event indicates that failure happens when LCM is trying to get the configuration from pull server using download manager WebDownloadManager. ErrorId is 0xC. ErrorDetail is The SendConfigurationApply function did not succeed.

I am done for today but will continue later this week or next week. Thank you in advance for your kind reply's and time

Harold

Harold Stultiens
    Participant

I began fresh again and installed all updates, now the script runs fine.

Thank you Dave & Don for your support.

Love this technology

Dave Wyatt

Cool, glad it's working! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.