Setting up DSC on Win2008R2 Server Can't find DSC-Service Feature

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike Humphreys Mike Humphreys 3 years ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Mike Humphreys
    Mike Humphreys
    Participant

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a Win2008R2 (SP1) server as the Pull Server for DSC configuration, and I simply cannot get it to load the DSC-Service feature.

I've loaded .Net framework ver 4.5.1 and then WMF ver 4.0.

I did find a set of release notes for the preview of WMF 4.0 that included the command: dism /online /enable-feature:DSC-Service

While this seems to have 'enabled' the feature, it still refuses to allow the "Add-WindowsFeature Dsc-Service" command, or the push of the configuration from a client PC that should also add this service and set up the related IIS bits.

I've tried as many search combinations in Google as I can think of, but I'm still at a loss as to what I'm missing. I do see that it should work fine for Win2012, but I don't have that option just at the moment.

What have I missed??

Many thanks in advance,
    Mike

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

Without sitting in front of the computr, it's hard to say. This is a supported feature; consider opening a product support call with MS. Or, just use a file share instead of a web based pull server.

Profile photo of Rich Beckett
      Rich Beckett
      Participant

I have checked my 2008R2 machine also and while I find all the cmd-lets relating to DSC and can interrogate the DSC local configuration manager I do not find anything relating to DSC service. Perhaps this is bug? Everything works as advertised on my 2012 R2 machine. This may explain why my pull server does not work on the 2008 R2 machine

Mike Humphreys
    Participant

Dave,

That's brilliant. It's actually Sat evening here now (in NZ), so I'll give this a go on Mon morning when I get back into work.

I got up to the dism command to enable the DSC-Service, but didn't get that next step for the aspnet_regiis... Sounds like I was on the right track, just not quite complete!

Many thanks for all this help. I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
    Mike

Mike Humphreys
    Participant

Dave,

Many thanks for that. Worked a treat.

Once I got to the end of the instructions, the call to the svc page worked just as expected. Thank you very much for finding the bit I missed.

I guess it's just a shame that the Win2008 installation isn't quite as easy as the Win2012 one, i.e. being able to use DSC from a client to create the required IIS setup, etc. Oh well, at least it's not really all that onerous.

Again, thanks for the help. Now on to setting up the deploy of the custom modules that I've created...

Cheers,
    Mike

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the pull server had to be Server 2012. I'll see if I can find that reference.

Edit: I might be remembering wrong. Everything I've found tonight says that it should be possible to install DSC pull servers on 2008 R2. I'll spin up a VM when I have some free time and see if I can get it working.

Profile photo of Dave Wyatt
    Dave Wyatt

OK, I've deleted my previous posts where I was fumbling around with this. I've just rebuilt my 2008 R2 SP1 VM from scratch to test the process, and it appears to work:

– Install Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
    – Install Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.
    – Install Windows Management Framework 4.0. (reboot required after this step)
    – Install IIS. Select all of the default options, plus "Tracing".
    – Run dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:ManagementOdata
    – Run dism /online /Enable-Feature /FeatureName:DSC-Service
    – Run $env:windir\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_regiis.exe -i

At this point, you have all the prerequisites set up, and you're ready to pick up the process from https://powershell.org/2013/10/03/building-a-desired-state-configuration-pull-server/ starting at "Next we need to set up the IIS web site." Everything else worked as expected, once the prereqs were all in place. When you create the application pool for DSC, be sure to select Framework version 4.0.

Don't bother installing ASP.NET or anything else from the Roles / Features list provided by Windows 2008; that's for .NET Framework 3.5, and doesn't matter for a DSC pull sever. When you run aspnet_regiis.exe -i, you install ASP.NET 4.0, along with all of its required configuration updates.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.