Sharepoint and powershell

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  postanote 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Mossy
    Participant

How can I point powershell to a sharepoint farm. I am searching for PII data and I have the script written to look for this type of data however, not exactly sure how I can point my script to the sharepoint farm. Any help is appreciated.

thanks

postanote
    Participant

You need to either be directly on the SharePoint server to leverage the SharePoint cmdlets or use PowerShell Remoteing (implicit or Explicit) to proxy the cmdlets to your workstation.

SharePoint 2010 with Windows PowerShell Remoteing Step by Step
    'blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/opal/2010/03/07/sharepoint-2010-with-windows-powershell-remoting-step-by-step'

If this is SharePoint online you have to down load and install the SPO tools to get the SPO cmdlets as well as the MSOL tool to be able to sign-in and use them.

'support.office.com/en-us/article/Introduction-to-the-SharePoint-Online-Management-Shell-C16941C3-19B4-4710-8056-34C034493429'

On-prem or cloud see also:

Index of Windows PowerShell cmdlets for SharePoint 2013
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff678226.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396'

Windows PowerShell for SharePoint 2013 reference
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee890108.aspx'

Use Windows PowerShell to administer SharePoint 2013
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee806878.aspx'

Use PowerShell Cmdlets to Manage SharePoint Document Libraries
    'blogs.technet.microsoft.com/heyscriptingguy/2010/09/23/use-powershell-cmdlets-to-manage-sharepoint-document-libraries'

Use Windows PowerShell cmdlets to manage sites in SharePoint 2013
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee890106.aspx'

Use Windows PowerShell cmdlets to administer and configure search in SharePoint 2013
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee906563.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396'

PowerShell Script to Configure Search in SharePoint Server 2010
    'blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jjameson/2011/02/28/powershell-script-to-configure-search-in-sharepoint-server-2010'

Why do this from scratch, when there are several pre-built scripts / cmdlets / modules that do this already?

Security Watch Where Is My PII?
    'technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/2008.04.securitywatch.aspx'

Using Powershell to report on files containing PII (Personally Identifiable Info
    'gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Using-Powershell-to-report-eb33f80c'

Using Powershell to report on files containing PII
    'gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Using-Powershell-to-report-d3163598'

Search for sensitive content in SharePoint and OneDrive documents
    'blogs.office.com/en-us/2014/08/27/search-sensitive-content-sharepoint-onedrive-documents'

Create a DLP policy to protect documents with FCI or other properties
    In Office 365, you can use a data loss prevention (DLP) policy to identify, monitor, and protect sensitive information. Many organizations already have a process to identify and classify sensitive information by using the classification properties in Windows Server File Classification Infrastructure (FCI), the document properties in SharePoint, or the document properties applied by a third-party system.

'support.office.com/en-us/article/Create-a-DLP-policy-to-protect-documents-with-FCI-or-other-properties-1b9e3c6c-4308-4a20-b11e-c37b8013e177'

You could also just use the Windows File Classification Infrastructure to search through and tag/classify files based on content both on-prem and in O365, though in O365 it's be rebranded to be called Azure Information Protection (AIP). Well, that and the many 3rdP solutions you can buy, that does this out of the box.

Unless this is a learning exercise for you, from a class or self imposed?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.