Single quote in a string

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jarkko Vepsäläinen 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Mohan D
    Participant

Hi Everyone

I am dealing with displayName attribute in AD. I am dumping these names into an Oracle table. Some names have a single quote in them. For example – Jerry O'Brian

In my script I am using single quotes around the variable. Like this – '$displayName'
    The script throws an exception when it finds that name. So I get all names into the table except this.

I tried using double quotes, two single quotes, tried different escape characters. Nothing worked. Any ideas?

I am hoping someone can help.

Thanks
    Mohan

Matt McNabb
    Participant

What command are you running that returns the error? What is the content of the error message? There's no particular issue with having a single quote in a string variable, but maybe the particular command you're running is balking at it, and you might need to do some error handling. Or maybe the database field has a problem with it?

Hi

Single quotas outside variable will convert the variable name into a String and not how double quotas shows you what's inside the variable.

Example:
    $variable = 'text'
    "$varible" returns: text
    '$variable' returns: $variable

Jake

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.