SMA runbook workflows and PowerCLI

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Don Jones 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Joey Piccola
    Participant

Has anyone been successful using Service Management Automation (SMA) to call runbook PowerShell workflows that leverage PowerCLI? I for the life of me cannot get them to work reliably, if at all. My setup is as follows... My workflows pull in a stored credential asset along with a param. The credential artifact along with my param are passed to my InlineScript block with $using (e.g. $using:MyCredAsset etc). Also in my InlineScript is a line to load the PowerCLI modules along with a Connect-ViServer to connect to vCenter. This is followed with a simple $vm = Get-VM and a Write-Output $vm. I run my workflow with Start-SMARunbook @params and off goes my runbook to SMA. I get the output as expected, all is good.

workflow Get-VMWorkFlow_example
    {
    Param(
        [string]$VMName
    )
        $cred = Get-AutomationPSCredential -Name 'cred_vcenter'
        InlineScript {
            Get-Module -ListAvailable VMware* | Import-Module | Out-Null
            Connect-VIServer -Server vcenter -Credential $using:cred | Out-Null
            $vm = Get-VM -Name $using:VMName
            Write-Output $vm
        }
    }

My issue occurs when I run this runbook multiples times within about 10-20 seconds of one another. I get a variety of errors that lead me to believe the PowerCLI established 'vis' PSDrive, modules, and established ViServer connections are overlapping with one another. I have tried all sorts of things to detect whether the 'vis' PSDrive or $global:DefaultVIServers already exists, and if not, then and only then import the modules and run connect-viserver. Nothing seems to make a difference. If I remove SMA from the equation and use workflows nativity on my workstation I DO NOT have any of the issues \ errors mentioned. This makes me think it's an issue with SMA calling workflows.

> Import-Module : The specified mount name 'vis' is already in use.
    > Import-Module : Exception calling "OnImportModule" with "2" argument(s): "Object reference not set to an instance of an object."
    > Get-VM You are not currently connected to any servers. Please connect first using a Connect cmdlet.
    > Connect-VIServer : Value does not fall within the expected range.
    > Connect-VIServer The server connection 'ad\MyUser@vcenter:443' is required by the current operation. The connection does not exist, possibly because it was actively closed or timed out.

Things to note:
    > Sometimes the workflows succeed and give the expected output.
    > Sometimes the workflows succeed and give the expected output with the errors discussed above.
    > Sometimes one or two workflows succeed with expected output while other fail with errors.
    > I do not see this behavior with other PowerShell modules that rely on PSDries (e.g. ActiveDirectory).

Thanks for the help,
    Joey

Don Jones
    Keymaster

I think PowerCLI was just not designed to run in that kind of context. As you surmise, it's probably timing related, and probably connected to the way SMA parallelizes things.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.