Software inventory - Who has installed the software?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Forums Archives 5 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

by surveyor at 2012-09-07 02:54:01

Hi,
    I'm searching for a method to got information about who has installed a softwarepackage. Does Windows log this?

by willsteele at 2012-09-07 03:26:13

While there are a few ways to go about this, there is no one absolute, 100% foolproof method. The reason being software vendors are free to choose where they decided to put their information in the registry. One of the best introductory techniques on how to do this can be seen by reading through Marc Carter's post on the Scripting Guys blog here:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2011/11/13/use-powershell-to-quickly-find-installed-software.aspx

by poshoholic at 2012-09-07 05:16:47

Will seems to be right. I did some searching around, and it seems like this particular piece of information is not logged/tracked by the system. I can see that this would be useful though. The closest idea that I could come up with would be to identify who was logged in at the same time that the software was installed. That may give you a lead that you can run with, but you might not have event log history that goes back far enough.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.