Some questions

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Tony Antony Tony Antony 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Tony Antony
    Tony Antony
    Participant

Just some questions:

1. How would I make powershell accept more than one input? For example, let's say I want to add 1+2 so I have $one and $two, but sometimes it could be 1+2+3? How would I do this?

2. Let's say I have a text file like this:
    zero
    one
    two
    three
    How would I set and save lines one through two [1..2] to be blank so that it's?
    zero
    three

3. Is there any professional PowerShell schools that I can go to learn more or is books and videos the best method to learn?

Profile photo of Christian Sandfeld
    Christian Sandfeld
    Participant

For question 1, one way to do that would be to create a function with a parameter, and make that parameter accept multiple values, and then itterate over that parameter.

Example:

function Add-Numbers {
        Param(
            [Parameter(Mandatory = $true)]
            [Int[]]  # < -- The extra [] make the parameter accept an array of input
            $Numbers
        )

foreach ($num in $Numbers)
        {
            $result += $num
        }

Write-Output $result
    }

Add-Numbers -Numbers 1,2,3

Christian Sandfeld
    Participant

For question 2, your sample data could be filtered like this:

$OrgFile = 'C:\Test\test.txt'
    $NewFile = 'C:\Test\test2.txt'

$RemoveText = @(
        'one',
        'two'
    )

Get-Content -Path $OrgFile | Where-Object { $RemoveText -notcontains $_ } | Set-Content -Path $NewFile

Christian Sandfeld
    Participant

And for question 3, I recommend watching the free PowerShell content on Microsoft Virtual Academy. "Getting Started with Microsoft PowerShell" is a good starting point. When it comes to books, the "Learn Windows PowerShell in a Month of Lunches" and "Learn PowerShell Toolmaking in a Month of Lunches" books are good reads. Additionaly Pluralsight have a lot of PowerShell courses as well.

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

Question 3 has been asked several times already here and in other forums like Microsoft Forum for Powershell. You're welcome to use the search function of these forums or even google. 😉

Look here: Top Beginner Sites and Tutorials

Profile photo of Olaf Soyk
    Olaf Soyk
    Participant

For Question 2 the correct answer actually has to be "it depends". A really sinple approach would be something like this:

$String = Get-Content -Path C:\sample\test.txt
    $String | Select-Object -First 1 -Last 1 | Out-File -FilePath C:\sample\test.txt -Force

But there are thousands of different approaches thinkable depending on the concrete task you need to accomplish

Profile photo of Tony Antony
    Tony Antony
    Participant

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.