Sort Physical Disks by FriendlyName

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Greg Low Greg Low 2 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Greg Low
    Greg Low
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Sorry but the syntax for trying to do this has gotten the better of me tonight.

I have some Azure disks I want to work on that I've retrieved like this:

$uninitializedDisks = Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $true

That returns 11 disks. I want to select the first two drives based on a numeric ordering of the FriendlyName. For example, if I just view the value of:

$unitializedDisks

The friendly names appear as:

PhysicalDisk5
    PhysicalDisk11
    PhysicalDisk3

and so on. I want to retrieve:

PhysicalDisk1
    PhysicalDisk2

I was getting to really messy syntax like:

$uninitializedDisks | sort-object -Property @{Expression={int.Parse($_FriendlyName.ToString().SubString(12, $_FriendlyName.ToString().Length – 12).PadLeft(2,"0"))}} | Select-Object -First 2

But still must have been doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram
    Participant

If they all have PhysicalDisk at the front, can't a normal

$UnitializedDisks | Sort

work?

Profile photo of Don Jones
    Don Jones
    Keymaster

No, because "11" will sort before "2." A "plain" sort will only work if it's something like "PhysicalDisk01" and so forth.

If that's not the case, I would probably do the Select-Object first, adding a custom property that contains only the disk sequence number, as an integer. THEN I'd sort on that custom property. So, similar to what you're doing, but reversing the logic a bit. Doing it my way will also make it easier to see if your "messy syntax" is working the way you think it is ;).

But you're overdoing the syntax a bit. For example...

[int]($expression)

Will cast something as an integer; you don't need all the Parse() method stuff. You can also get rid of "PhysicalDisk" more easily.

[int]($_.FriendlyName.Replace('PhysicalDisk',''))

Basically, just remove "PhysicalDisk" by replacing that string with an empty string. That'll leave you with a numeric string, which is then case as an integer. You shouldn't HAVE to pull a ToString() on it first, since the property value should already be a string. The ISE may not "see" it as a string as you're typing, but it ought to run.

Profile photo of Greg Low
    Greg Low
    Participant

Thanks folks. The Replace option simplified it nicely. I also just didn't have the sort-object -property syntax for the custom sort value correct. I've fixed it now and it looks good.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.