Sorting Help for a Newbie to PowerShell

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Adam Bertram Adam Bertram 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Scott Evans
    Scott Evans
    Participant

I've got a file with a long list of integers and I need to identify the largest integer. I tried

$max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | sort | select-object -last 1

I thought this put the largest integer at the bottom and I could assign it to a variable. (I'm used to sort -n in unix.) I created a test file with 1000 as the largest value, but got 829 (the next highest value) instead. When I looked at the sort it was something like...
    How can I identify the largest integer in the file?

Profile photo of Daniel Krebs
    Daniel Krebs

You'll need to cast or convert the individual lines which are strings into the data type integer to be able to sort by largest.

Example:

$max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | ForEach-Object { [System.Convert]::ToInt32($PSItem.Trim()) } | Sort-Object | Select-Object -Last 1
    $max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | ForEach-Object { [System.Int32]$PSItem.Trim() } | Sort-Object | Select-Object -Last 1

In the future, please post general PowerShell questions like this in the "PowerShell Q&A" subforum instead of "Pester".

Profile photo of Richard Siddaway
    Richard Siddaway

The problem is that Get-Content is returning an array of strings rather than integers so sort works on a string sort rather than a numeric sort

These options should work

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach {$psitem -as [int]} | sort | select -Last 1

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach {[int]$psitem} | sort | select -Last 1

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach ToInt32($_) | sort | select -Last 1

I've put your sample numbers into num.txt

Profile photo of Scott Evans
    Scott Evans
    Participant

The file I'm working with is a temporary file I created by pulling the numbers from a larger text file. Is there anyway I can create this temp file in the correct format to begin with?

Profile photo of Adam Bertram
    Adam Bertram

Moved question to PowerShell Q&A.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.