Sorting Help for a Newbie to PowerShell

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Adam Bertram 7 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Scott Evans
    Participant

I've got a file with a long list of integers and I need to identify the largest integer. I tried

$max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | sort | select-object -last 1

I thought this put the largest integer at the bottom and I could assign it to a variable. (I'm used to sort -n in unix.) I created a test file with 1000 as the largest value, but got 829 (the next highest value) instead. When I looked at the sort it was something like...
    How can I identify the largest integer in the file?

Daniel Krebs

You'll need to cast or convert the individual lines which are strings into the data type integer to be able to sort by largest.

Example:

$max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | ForEach-Object { [System.Convert]::ToInt32($PSItem.Trim()) } | Sort-Object | Select-Object -Last 1
    $max_delay = Get-Content caca1.txt | ForEach-Object { [System.Int32]$PSItem.Trim() } | Sort-Object | Select-Object -Last 1

In the future, please post general PowerShell questions like this in the "PowerShell Q&A" subforum instead of "Pester".

Richard Siddaway

The problem is that Get-Content is returning an array of strings rather than integers so sort works on a string sort rather than a numeric sort

These options should work

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach {$psitem -as [int]} | sort | select -Last 1

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach {[int]$psitem} | sort | select -Last 1

Get-Content .\num.txt | foreach ToInt32($_) | sort | select -Last 1

I've put your sample numbers into num.txt

Scott Evans
    Participant

The file I'm working with is a temporary file I created by pulling the numbers from a larger text file. Is there anyway I can create this temp file in the correct format to begin with?

Adam Bertram

Moved question to PowerShell Q&A.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.