SQL example book Powershell Toolmaking

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Klish Brian Klish 2 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Ramon Bruin
    Ramon Bruin
    Participant

Hi,

I am reading the book Powershell Toolmaking in a month of lunches. Which I really like!

But I am running into an issue at chapter 14, Adding database access. It seems when I am querying the database, I get next to the results, also some kind of row count.
    Which is then also used as a value and is then causing an error.

When I query the database, which contains three computernames, it first displays a 3 and then the three computernames. When I pipe this into the Get-MOLSystemInfo, it is trying to connect to computer 3, before it continues with the actual machines from the database, as you can see in file1.

I have pinned it down to the Get-MOLDatabaseData function. I have paste into ISE, made some adjustments so that it works as a standalone script, and I get the same behavior. As you can see in file2.

So my question is, how do I get rid of this total count value?
    Did I miss something somewhere?

Thanks,

Ramon Bruin

Profile photo of Rob Simmers
    Rob Simmers
    Participant

I believe it's the $adapter.Fill... that returns a row count. This is how I handled it in my function:

# Fill the DataSet with the SQL Adapter info
    $nRecs = $SqlAdapter.Fill($DataSet)
    $nRecs | Out-Null 

Basically, the .NET function is returning a row count value and you need to just pipe that output to | Out-Null to catch the output and return nothing (null). You can try just doing the | Out-Null on your fill line as well.

Profile photo of Ramon Bruin
    Ramon Bruin
    Participant

Hi Rob,

Thanks man, that fixed it for me!

Profile photo of Brian Klish
    Brian Klish
    Participant

That fixed it for me too. The function was returning two different types of objects. First an integer and then a datarow. Don, if you see this you may want to fix the code download on morelunches?

Now I have to figure out why I can't work the the datarow objects that are coming across. Need to convert to custom objects maybe?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.