Store a string array in a variable and pass it to a command

Welcome Forums General PowerShell Q&A Store a string array in a variable and pass it to a command

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant
      Topics: 4
      Replies: 8

The following code works very well

$Include = "*.exe, *.rpt, *.chm"

Copy-Item -Include $Include -Path $NetPath -Recurse -Force -Destination $TmpPath 

Now I would like to pass the entire copy command to another command. I do this as follows:

$Command = "Copy-Item -Include $Include -Path $NetPath -Recurse -Force -Destination $TmpPath”

Start-Process powershell.exe -Verb runas -ArgumentList "$Command" 

Apparently, the string array in variable $Include is no longer recognized. What do I have to change for the code to work?

Participant
      Topics: 9
      Replies: 1277
      Helping Hand

Two things:

1. The $Include variable is not a string array, it's a just a string. See below:
        PS C:\Users\rasim\Desktop> $Include = "*.exe, *.rpt, *.chm"

$Include.GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                                                                                              
        -------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                                                                                              
        True     True     String                                   System.Object                                                                                                                                                                                         

PS C:\Users\rasim\Desktop> $Include = "*.exe,", "*.rpt", "*.chm"

$Include.GetType()

IsPublic IsSerial Name                                     BaseType                                                                                                                                                                                              
        -------- -------- ----                                     --------                                                                                                                                                                                              
        True     True     Object[]                                 System.Array                                                                                                                                                                                          

2. Not sure why you are starting a Powershell in Powershell, but to answer your question you are not passing the variable to the process, so it doesn't know anything about the $Include variable or even $NetPath or $TmpPath. If you are trying to execute the command on another system, you should be using Invoke-Command and then you can use the $using. See https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/microsoft.powershell.core/about/about_remote_variables?view=powershell-6
      Participant

Not sure why you are starting a Powershell in Powershell

I want to execute the copy command with elevated right. If that goes the other way, I would be grateful for any help.

If you are trying to execute the command on another system

The command should not be executed on another system, but with elevated privileges.

Participant

I found the following:

If I give $Include direct in the copy command, $Include must be an System.Array

$Include = "*.exe", "*.rpt", "*.chm"
      Copy-Item -Include $Include -Path $Source -Recurse -Force -Destination $Target

When I pass the copy command in another command, $Include must be an system.object

$Command = "Copy-Item -Include $Include -Path $Source -Recurse -Force -Destination '$Target'"
      Start-Process powershell.exe -Verb runas -ArgumentList "$Command"

Both variants work now

Participant
      Topics: 2
      Replies: 510
      Helping Hand

You can use -Credential to execute the copy program with a specific credential, which generally suffices for most use cases. 🙂

Participant

I think Iwould have to know the credentials of the user. It's not like this. I think I can't get on with -Credential.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.